Help identifying apples from Northern Sonoma County

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedo-Rick

Reaction score
Someone gave me these apples from Mount Saint Helena, Northern Sonoma County.

She not 100% sure, but she thinks they are Golden Delicious.

As you can see, they have a decent amount of russeting on top, and have been off the tree for about a week and View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1473012261.151622.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1473012275.436466.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1473012288.968513.jpgare starting to turn a light shade of yellow...at least the ones on the left are.

Very hard to id apples, with that russeting I would say they are a heritage cultivar. They look a bit like peasgood nonesuch, which are really big apples, but it is probably a bit early for them.

The two on the left are probably Golden, the two on the right might be something else, or not ripe. Did they come off the same tree? Most likely need more time on the tree until they all turn yellow.

They did come from the same tree and she said she thought they were GD. I guess I'll go with that. It's hard for me to look at it like that, because the only GD I've seen are the completely uniform ones you see in the grocery store.

With that russeting, I'd suspect Newtown Pippin. I don't think GDs usually display that much russeting but who knows, it can be very individual depending on location, growing conditions, etc.

Back