HELP!! I stored 2.5 gallon keg in my fermenting bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepspeaking

Reaction score
And now the bucket reeks of rubber from the keg's top and bottom rubber footings.
:smack::smack::smack:
Is that gonna ruin my fermenting bucket the same way using a garden hose for water would? Or will it air out?

I would start with a long hot PBW soak. (but not too hot for the plastic) If that does not work, then get a big bag of baking soda and make a strong warm solution of that for a long soak. then follow up with another PBW soak, and then a star san soak.

If that fails, sunlight will remove odors from plastic... over time. Just set it outside in the sun till the smell is gone. It works.

Just to provide a little thread closure, it took (in order) a day soak in oxyclean, day in starsan, three day hot soak in oxyclean, day in the sun, 4 day soak in starsan, and now you pretty much can't smell it.

I think the sun worked the most.

Just to provide a little thread closure, it took (in order) a day soak in oxyclean, day in starsan, three day hot soak in oxyclean, day in the sun, 4 day soak in starsan, and now you pretty much can't smell it.

I think the sun worked the most.

Told ya it works! Glad to hear you got it out.

Back