Help hopping an Imperial Schwarzbier please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gofastr1

Reaction score
I'm making what I'll call an Imperial Schwarzbier variant and am seeking thoughts on how to hop it.

Grain will be ~ 50% US 2row, 40% pilsner and the remaining 10% dark specialties that range from crystal 40 to carafe special II. Bohemian lager yeast @ 50F. Pretty strong with a target 7.5% ABV. Overall, kind of a lager version of black IPA.

I was thinking a target IBU at ~ 50; somewhere between my black IPA and hoppy pale lagers. For hops, was thinking my typical black IPA bill: Cascade & Columbus for bittering and Cascade & Citra for aroma and dry hopping. Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks hottpeper.

Perhaps I should have provided a little more on the specialty grains: I am planning to have about 3% each crystal 40 and pale chocolate, and 2% each roasted barley and carafa II. So a mild degree of roast (like most schwarzbiers), that I thought might do well with the typical IP hops - but i get where you are coming from.

Still thinking the noble varieties best here given the grain bill? I don't really care about sticking to style - which at about 7.5% I won't be!

hottpeper,
OK - so I haven't gone too crazy with this one (yet...). I went w/your recommendation and hopped with Perle and Hallertauer, targeting about 40 IBU. It's ticking away on day 4 in my lagerator at 50F; I'm hoping it drops to ~ 1.030 by the end of the week so I can get it up to room temp for finishing, then crash, rack and back in the lagerator at <34F before I leave on a month's long trip.

Latest posts

Back