Help for my SMASH please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_Robber

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed a one gallon Maris Otter / Amarillo SMASH with 2.75 lbs of grain for the 1 gallon batch. Beersmith gave me a 6.9% ABV

At day 5 in the bottle it was extremely well balanced - I was shocked at how great it was but there was no aroma...or very little.

at 12 days in the bottle, the balance went away and an alcohol sharpness came into the beer. I tried another bottle today at day 17 and the sharpness rounded a bit but it's still not so well balanced as day 5, but the Amarillo hop has now come through.

How can I cut this sharpness? What grain could I add or technique should I use to round out the edges? OR does it just need more time in the bottle? TIA

Stop messing with it. Just bottle it and drink it. If it seems too bitter, you need less hops or more malt in your next batch.

I've found that beers do change a lot after they are bottled (or kegged) and carbed. So many times I was disappointed at the beer when I tasted it at bottling time, but then it was much better after 2 or 3 weeks. And if it's not, adjust in your next batch. This is why we keep notes - so we don't keep making the same mistakes.

Go 21 days in the bottle at a minimum before panicing.

LOL...not panicking, it just has changed quite a bit since day 5, for the worse, and I just wanted to know how to balance things out.

I will wait a few more days before pulling my hair out. :)

Thanks, Big Jack!

Stop messing with it. Just bottle it and drink it. If it seems too bitter, you need less hops or more malt in your next batch.

I've found that beers do change a lot after they are bottled (or kegged) and carbed. So many times I was disappointed at the beer when I tasted it at bottling time, but then it was much better after 2 or 3 weeks. And if it's not, adjust in your next batch. This is why we keep notes - so we don't keep making the same mistakes.

Thanks, Pawn. Perhaps scaling back the amount of grain, if it's still sharp after another week, is in the cards!

I've done a few SMASHes (using MO is a great grain choice by the way) to test and evaluate different hops.

Only ever do small batches for test purposes, no expectations about making a beer worth much, too one dimensional and plain generally.

I drink mine every 3-4 days from carbonation to track how the hops go, from dry hopping and fresh aromatics dropping off. Would depend on what hopping schedule you used.

I've done a few SMASHes (using MO is a great grain choice by the way) to test and evaluate different hops.

Only ever do small batches for test purposes, no expectations about making a beer worth much, too one dimensional and plain generally.

I drink mine every 3-4 days from carbonation to track how the hops go, from dry hopping and fresh aromatics dropping off. Would depend on what hopping schedule you used.

I think the sharpness is from the alcohol, Mirkin.

What size batches do you make for your test batches? Also, How many pounds of grain, on average, do you use in those batches?

I used 2.75 LBS of MO in my 1 gallon batch - perhaps a little too much. I did research prior to brewing that SMASH and posters kept saying that you need to add much more grain in a SMASH than in other batches which used many types of malts and specialty grains.

ANy suggestions? TIA

Gold_Robber said:
I think the sharpness is from the alcohol, Mirkin.

What size batches do you make for your test batches? Also, How many pounds of grain, on average, do you use in those batches?

I used 2.75 LBS of MO in my 1 gallon batch - perhaps a little too much. I did research prior to brewing that SMASH and posters kept saying that you need to add much more grain in a SMASH than in other batches which used many types of malts and specialty grains.

ANy suggestions? TIA

I only do 5-10L batches for testers, aiming for only about 4.5%abv after bottle carbonation. I don't have a recipe at hand to say how much grain used but from memory about 2.5kg or so.
I've not heard of people saying to use more grain for smash brews so not sure about any of that but I could speculate that they're also going mash at a higher temp to get more body?
I've been able to learn a lot about using MO as a base malt and several varieties of hops in SMASH brews, but I've had more enjoyable brews by making myself a standard "generic" malt bill of 85% MO 10% Med Crystal and 5% Carapils and doing single hop brews, I just did a batch with Ella (formerly known as Stella) which I've split after primary fermentation into 2 secondaries so I can dry hop some and compare. It's all about experimenting, learning, having fun and drinking some beer :)

What temperature did you ferment it at? Higher temperature fermenting will cause the yeast to create fusel alcohol which gives beer a sharp alcohol taste. That taste may dissipate with time.

What temperature did you ferment it at? Higher temperature fermenting will cause the yeast to create fusel alcohol which gives beer a sharp alcohol taste. That taste may dissipate with time.

68-70 F on average

What temp do you think I should be fermenting at?

68-70 F on average

That depends on the yeast your using, anywhere from 40deg (Lagers) to 95deg (Saisons) depending on the yeast.

Look up your yeast and try to keep at the lower end, unless your using Saison 3724 then start low and ramp it up over 2 to 3 days till its over 80deg and keep it there.

Cheers :mug:

Gold_Robber said:
68-70 F on average

Assuming you're using a generic standard like US05 , 18-20C (64-68F) is the ideal range for super clean fermentation, but up to 70F is absolutely fine. Always check with the yeast spec sheet or the packet. I prefer to stay on the low side of the suggested unless I'm doing something special like a Saison which wants the high range for the style.

I've brewed lots of us05 batches 24-26C (mid 70'sF) with no unpalatable fusels, but that was before my fermentation chamber and now I'll never go back to warmer temps.

Maybe your sharp alcohol taste is just a result of not enough balance to make the abv% fit. It is a problem with single grain brews in my experience

Latest posts

Back