Help finding leak in system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly224

Reaction score
I have leaked two tanks of co2 and am starting to get frustrated now. The tanks both leaked over about a week so it's a very slow leak. If I turn on the gas with the regulator valve shut gas just starts coming out at a rapid pace, is that normal?

[...]The tanks both leaked over about a week so it's a very slow leak. If I turn on the gas with the regulator valve shut gas just starts coming out at a rapid pace, is that normal?

I wouldn't call one week "slow", even with a 5 pound cylinder.
And, no, with the regulator set to zero psi there shouldn't be anything happening "rapidly".

Can you localize where the CO2 is escaping?

For orientation, what make/model regulator do you have?
Does it have a shut-off valve below the regulator body?
If so, what happens if you close that valve then open the cylinder valve?

Also, is there a gasket or o-ring at the cylinder coupler end of the stem entering the regulator body? It's not uncommon for folks to forget to insert a fiber or plastic gasket inside the coupler nut before attaching the regulator to the cylinder...

Cheers!

Star San or a soapy water mix sprayed on every connection will let you track the leak down. Be patient and watch for tiny bubbles to form... I even went to using a small piece of tiny tubing(straw off a computer duster) as a pipette to drip the soap mix on so it had no bubbles form spraying. If any bubbles formed I knew I had a leak.

If I am reading your post correctly, you have a valve on the regulator that stops the gas from going to your kegs. If this is correct, close the valve going to the kegs. Open the valve on the co2 tank and set the regulator to most any psi then close the valve on the co2 tank. This will check the regulator for leaks. It should hold the pressure it is set to. Use a soap or star san solution to find the specific spot. I prefer soap.

I've had two factory fittings on regulators begin to leak where the nipples are threaded into the regulator body.

Try isolating each component in this manner, such as hose assembly to kegs with the kegs disconnected in the same manner. You'll find it. But from your post it sounds like the regulator itself is leaking.

If I am reading your post correctly, you have a valve on the regulator that stops the gas from going to your kegs. If this is correct, close the valve going to the kegs. Open the valve on the co2 tank and set the regulator to most any psi then close the valve on the co2 tank. This will check the regulator for leaks.
This isn't 100% foolproof.While the valve is shut and I put the coupler in a container of BLC to clean it I get bubbles.
I know my shutoff valve is leaking. Which would drop the pressure in the reg giving a false evaluation.
I just deal with it but never leave the coupler disconnected even after kicking a keg

If I put the gas on with the valve to the keg shut co2 starts coming out the release valve for some reason. The pressure reading on the regulator dropped about 10 psi over night but I can't find any leaks.

Okay so I had it turned all the way up not all the way down lol. With all valves closed it went from 40 psi to 30 over night though, that means there is leak in regulator somewhere right?

Okay so I had it turned all the way up not all the way down lol. With all valves closed it went from 40 psi to 30 over night though, that means there is leak in regulator somewhere right?
No. It could be the connection at the tank. I need to crank the crap out of my connection to the tank or I get a very small leak but a leak none the less. Or like I said you could have a valve that doesn't close all the way ....or the reg.

You could disconnect the gas line and see if it drops with the valve closed. That would eliminate everything down stream if it does. You could dunk the tank and tank connection leaving the reg out of the water to check for leaks then spin it over and check the gas line input with the valve off.

I have problems with my ball-lock connections leaking when wiggled sometimes, have ended up with an empty cylinder in a couple of days that way. I try wiggling them some more when I put one back in and listen to close to hear if I hear a slight hissing.

Check to make sure the white o-ring is in place where the regulator screws onto the tank. I could be wrong but I think there should be one..........

I had a similar problem last year. It turned out that one of my kegs had a bad pressure relief valve.

+1 on both of the last posts.
The little white nylon washer has fallen out of the regulator on me on more than 1 occasion. Without that that, there is no amount of tightening that will seal it.

Like trickydick and volsherdeers said drunk the regulator. I've seen packing glands fail and relief valve leak.

Get a spray bottle and some water and dish soap. Spray every connection, line, valve and don't forget the gauges. Bubbles wont lie.

I fought with my system for a long time and finally discovered that one of the gauges was leaking. I notified the vendor and they sent me a replacement.

I'm going through the same battle now.... By progressive testing, I have narrowed it down to being south of the manifold. I have replaced all the washers in the bodies of the quick connects and the orings on the gas posts. I have soap tested the manifold connection, the quick connect connection, the pressure relief and everywhere else I can spray! Very frustrating, but if I close all the manifold valves, leave it for several hours, reopen each of them, the gas starts flowing (you can hear the moaning) into 3 of the kegs. I was going to replace all my gas poppets and then I realized that with the quick connects on the poppet isn't sealing anyway...... Next is to try lubing up all the gas orings and see if that does anything. The regulator holds pressure when tank and manifold is closed and I even submerged the manifold in a bucket of water to check it.

I think I solved mine. Corroded bulkhead style PRV so the poppets weren't seating. Should have been obvious with soapy water test but I guess I didn't get enough into that area.

Latest posts

Back