Help FG Way Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esabasard

Reaction score
My friend and I made an oktoberfest lager two weeks ago. We made a double batch full boil. We used the Brewers best kit and just used two of them. In the end we fermented in two different 5g vessels. Because of the kits, we had two different manufacturers of yeast. Today we transferred to secondary. The first was great, FG was 1.011, target is 1.014. We took the reading on the second one after transferring and it is 1.029. We put it back in the ferm chamber and haven't changed the temp from 56. What do we do now to get it to the right FG?

Give it more time. There could be any number of reason why the one batch still has a high gravity. It could be that that yeast simply is less aggressive, or that it was less viable at pitching (usually not a huge problem with dry yeast). At any rate, fermenting a lager to final gravity in two weeks seems kind of quick to me.

Thanks for the reply, since we have transferred already is that going to have a negative impact?

Shouldn't. You likely still had more than enough yeast in suspension to finish the job. Just keep in mind that patience is critical with lagers. Then once you are done with fermentation, let them warm up a bit for a diacetyl rest.

Back