Help fg at 1.022 at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wranglerx16

Reaction score
Help!! I started my gumball head on 4/19 I had an og of 1.054 like my recipe says I dry hopped on 5/12 and today just finished cleaning bottles and transferring to bottling bucket . My fg is 1.022 it says it should be 1.010. Never had this problem before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I used the recipe from the database and used a safale us 05 yeast with fermentation around 68-69

if extract, try searching for "stuck fermentation" the 1.020 FG is a common and baffling problem to have. sounds like you did things right though from what you've posted here.

neosapien said:
if extract, try searching for "stuck fermentation" the 1.020 FG is a common and baffling problem to have. sounds like you did things right though from what you've posted here.

Ya I was looking at that. Not sure if that would mess things up since I already dry hopped it

Yooper said:
Was that after you added the priming sugar?

If it's been the same SG for at least a few days, it's fine to bottle.

I haven't added the priming sugar yet I just have it sitting in my bottling bucket under airlock. So you don't think it is a stuck fermentation and will mess it up or create bottle bombs? I'll Check the fg again today

I haven't added the priming sugar yet I just have it sitting in my bottling bucket under airlock. So you don't think it is a stuck fermentation and will mess it up or create bottle bombs? I'll Check the fg again today

I wouldn't be surprised if no matter what you did, it would stop at 1.020- that's happened to me many times with extract beers. If it's still at 1.022 in a day or two, it should be fine to bottle.

Yooper said:
I wouldn't be surprised if no matter what you did, it would stop at 1.020- that's happened to me many times with extract beers. If it's still at 1.022 in a day or two, it should be fine to bottle.

Ok thanks for yiur help I really appreciate it

Yooper's right, many many times I've had extract batches finish at ~1.02, it just happens. Make sure that gravity is stable over a few days and if it is, go ahead and prime and bottle. :mug:

I agree with the other posters above me. I've had my beers stop at FGs of 1.017 to 1.024 (extract and mini-mashes). None of them produced bottle bombs. If the gravity stays constant over 3 days you'll be good to bottle.

image-2914495777.jpg

I have since bottled I tried one it is still premature. But it was very light in guessing due to the weak fermentation . Does this first picture I took look ok? It didn't seem to be infected it just looked odd

Attachments

• image-2142366258.jpg
    image-2142366258.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 267
Back