Help dry hopping with citra + orange peel/coriander/black peppercorn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrivetDriveBrewery

Reaction score
I'm making a summer orange ale and wanted a little input on adding coriander and orange into my beer. During the boil I added rind from two oranges 10 minutes before flame out. There is definitely some orange aroma in primary right now.

I'm getting ready to transition to secondary here in the next few days and was considering trying to dry hop with some citra hops (should I do 0.5 oz or 1 oz), a little more orange peel (packaged from NB), as well as add some coriander seeds and black peppercorn for a little spice.

Most of the topics I've seen have added coriander/black peppercorn/orange just during the boil. Would it work to add this into secondary instead? How much coriander and black pepper would be good to add? Should it be ground?

Any input would be a huge help! Thanks!

I'm doing a 5.5 gallon batch

The orange can actually be successfully added in the boil of secondary with no problems. The coriander and pepper is usually added in the last part of the boil as it is difficult to settle out and filter out as well as extracting flavor without the boil but you can try. Not sure how much pepper to use but use the coriander sparingly, it's potent stuff, maybe 1/2oz.

Definitely crack the peppercorns. There's a saison recipe I'm considering that uses 1.5tsp at 5 min, so you'd probably be safe using 1.5tsp dry hopped. I'm not sure about the other two ingredients, I'd try to find another recipe and see how much they're using.

Don't worry about not adding enough, if at bottling it's too subtle, make a quick tea with hot water (or beer), and the spices you want to get you to where you want to be. Strain that with a french press or loose leaf tea bag or something.

mstodd, just so I understand...instead of adding the coriander/black peppercorn and orange peel into the secondary in a mesh bag, you think it'd be best to boil some water and let those all steep in there for a few minutes and then pour into secondary?

I imagine I was clear as mud.

I would put all ingredients in secondary as they are (or soak in vodka to sanitize). Then when you go to bottle, if you still want more flavor, make a tea with what you think the beer needs, and then add the tea to the beer, and bottle.

The reason is that if you add too much to the secondary, you can't take it out, but if add some to see how it goes, you can add more at bottling time. Next time, with what you learned, you can add a more appropriate amount to the secondary.

The coriander seeds need to be ground as well. If have added them and and dried orange peel (both sweet and sour) {they look like wood} at flame out, and in a hop bad in the primary after several weeks (i.e. similar to adding to secondary).

Back