Help building first 3-vessel brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Reaction score
I want to try 3-vessel all-grain brewing and thought I would ask for some advice on building a rig.

I already have the following equipment:
  • 10-gallon brew kettle with sight glass, ball valve, brewmometer
  • 15-gallon sankey keg with no attachments yet but I already cut the top opening using angle-grinder and cutting jig
  • Floor standing propane burner
I'm guessing I will use the 10g kettle as a HLT, the sankey keg as a MLT, and I need to get another sankey keg to use as a boil kettle so I can make 10gallon batches. I would also need to buy or build some sort of a stand to hold everything. Does this sound correct?

I'd like to try going electric instead of propane. However, I don't want it to be too complicated or fancy... just something simple and rock solid that works.

Any suggestions or advice on how do build/design a rig would be much appreciated!

For the quickest setup of a 3 vessel system I'd grab a 10 gal cooler to use as your MLT. Then you can use the keg you have as your boil/hlt and the 10 gal pot as your transfer pot. Make sure to add a spigot to the keg.

Basically you heat up your water in the keg, transfer to the MLT cooler (either just let it flow in, or use your 10 gal pot to transfer it in) then put in your malt and let it mash. During the mash heat up your sparge water in the keg, then move to your 10 gal pot right before you transfer into the keg.

Changes a bit if you don't want to batch sparge.

I did this when I first started all-grain. Adds a lot more lifting, but gets you going quick.

Eventually I went electric with a 3 vessel system. 2 kegs (HLT, kettle) and a 10 gal cooler. one tier with a pump.

Seven,
Figured out your budget for a stand first, that will help determine the materials you can/will use.

This style is extremely stable, resists tipping and you can stand on the tiers. I hope that helps.
BusseStand.png

Latest posts

Back