help broken muslin bag? should i worry.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeddemon190

Reaction score
So 2nd brew and me trying to do too many things at once, I let the muslin bag sit on the bottom of the kettle for too long and it got stuck, then it broke the bag. I heard that boiling grains is bad.

So do I need to try and filter the grains out prior to boil, or can I boil the grains and finish the wort and then filter as I pour into the carboy for fermentation?

its too late, oh well. I plan on straining everything out when I funnel to the carboy, using the strainer in the funnel. hopefully it will be ok. if not. On to the next brew.

You might notice the taste of tannin in the beer, but if they were only steeping grains, I wouldn't worry too much, it all depends on how much grain you're talking about. Only time will tell, and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

It might have a bit of off-flavor but the batch is by no means ruined. Drive on!

Well I filtered it as much as I could, as I poured it into a bottling bucket (so I can add water and measure an exact 5 gal) and then filtered again though the funnel into the carboy. I filtered out about 80-90 percent of the grains. my SG measurement was 1.034.

FYI its a summer shandy clone (for my GF). with 1lb corn, .5 lb 10L crystal malt, 1 oz cascade, 1oz Willamette (5 min) 6 lbs LME and 1 lb sugar. then after fermentation lemonade type flavoring (no sugar) is added during bottling with priming sugar.

I got this from my LHBS. not sure how well it will turn out. but its worth a try. I currently have an Irish Red in the fermenter that has been in there for 7 days so far. I plan on letting both of them ferment for 2 weeks then bottle for 3. (summer shandy longer if the grain messed up the flavors)

It's not really the sitting on the grains that may hurt it, it's the boiling of the grains. At 175-180F-ish (IIRC), tannins start to be extracted from grains which leads to the off-flavors.

Definitely invest in some 5 gallon paint strainer bags. I think the last batch I got were 3 for $5. They work great for steeping, straining and BIAB.

The only problem with them is if you let them sit on bottom and burn, they really would ruin your whole batch.

You might look through your cupboards to see if you have any metal racks that will keep your bag off the bottom as well.

Definitely invest in some 5 gallon paint strainer bags. I think the last batch I got were 3 for $5. They work great for steeping, straining and BIAB.

The only problem with them is if you let them sit on bottom and burn, they really would ruin your whole batch.

You might look through your cupboards to see if you have any metal racks that will keep your bag off the bottom as well.

Great thanks, ill look into that next time im at the hardware store

ok just an update on the 1st and 2nd brews. these are on bottling day.

This is the 1st. irish red 3 weeks on primary, roughly 4.6%. I like the color, and smell is great. Taste is a tad bitter for my liking, but im sure that will fade with the conditioning time.

This is 2nd brew and the topic of the this thread. Its a summer shandy clone that i brewed for the swmbo. Muslin bag broke and i boiled the specialty grain. 3.6% 2 weeks on primary. smells just like its supposed too. color is pretty much on. taste is a little weak for my liking but the girl enjoyed it. I couldnt find any real off flavors. I used table sugar for bottling becuase the LHBS gave my 5oz of something that definatly wasnt sugar. so i used 2/3 cup table sugar instead. hoping the carbonation level will turn out well.

Latest posts

Back