Help brewing Ale for a beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisdove93

Reaction score
Hi

I got a beer brewing kit for my birthday which came with all the essentials such as a barrel.

I can follow the instructions easily but doesnt give any indication as to how long i need to ferment the ale for in the barrel provided.

I just want to know how long to ferment the ale for before transferring it to a keg with a CO2 pump which i bought extra and any additional time needed after that.

Thanks!

Hydrometer readings are the only reliable way to tell when fermentation is complete. Two weeks after fermentation begins take a Specific
Gravity reading. Two to three days later take another reading. If they are the same Final Gravity has been reached. Give the yeast a few more days to clean up fermentation by-products and you're good to go.

Look up the optimum fermentation temperature of the wort for your yeast. Some nasty off flavors can be produced fermenting the wort to cool, but especially to hot.

Fermenting near the cooler side of the yeast's ideal temp range is better than too warm. That's where off flavors are produced. Let the beer ferment till it gets down to a stable FG. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation then package.

Like the others said, a gravity reading is really the only reliable way to determine if your beer is finished fermenting. As far as kegging, once you are sure fermentation is over, you'll want to siphon into a sterilized keg and add CO2 to acheive the desired carbonation. You didn't tell us what style of beer you made, just that it was an ale, which is like telling you that I need parts for my truck and not telling you what kind of truck it is. That being said, I usually carb mine at 8-9 psi for a few weeks and checking as I go. Don't worry, in the end you'll make beer. :tank:

Hi

I got a beer brewing kit for my birthday which came with all the essentials such as a barrel.

I can follow the instructions easily but doesnt give any indication as to how long i need to ferment the ale for in the barrel provided.

I just want to know how long to ferment the ale for before transferring it to a keg with a CO2 pump which i bought extra and any additional time needed after that.

Thanks!
I should ask if you have a good source of water for brewing. You will need to use water without chlorine or chloramines. All municipal water is treated. Chlorine can be evaporated by boiling or letting it sit open for 24 hours. Chloramines can be eliminated with Campden tablets.

You can also use Reverse Osmosis or distilled water for brewing. Only use bottled spring water or water from a private well for rehydrating dry yeast.

PBW is a great cleaner and Starsan is a great sanitizer.

Latest posts

Back