Help! Brew is going nowhere!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweenbeen

Reaction score
So about 4 or 5 weeks ago I brewed a gingerbread ale. It was based off of a nut brown ale. I added some spices and 2lbs of additional malt. The nut brown ale with out the additional malt should yield an ABV of about 6.0-6.5% so adding the additional malt should have brought me up to around 8%. Here is where the problem comes in.

My fermentation slowed down (was expecting that) so I repitched with another ale yeast strain. I waited a week and I have yet to see much of a result in my FG. My OG was 1.072 and the gravity I am stuck at is 1.022. Which if I am not mistaken will give me a ABV of about 6.5%. Any suggestions? Or do you think it is actually done? Since repitching I have not seen a drop in gravity.

I tried raising the temperature to the upper end for ale yeasts...still nothing. I have not seen any movement in the air lock for some time either.

Help? Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

You've done what you should do, raised the temp and re-pitched. I suspect your yeast is done doing its fermentation, especially given your fairly high starting gravity.

Was this all-grain and what was the grain bill? What did you mash at? And what yeasts did you use?

I started with an extract. I also used crystal and chocolate malt/grain mix. I am just disappointed and was thinking my FG was going to be lower and my abv higher considering I added that extra 2lbs.

And I used dry yeast packs. Trying to remember the name but can't. the first was an english ale and the second was an american ale (which I was expecting to be a little more aggressive)

Did you rehydrate the second pack before pitching? Give it any nutrients? That's a pretty high alcohol environment to pitch a new yeast into... also, a big brown is likely to finish pretty high anyway, you might not get much that lower with all the added fermentables and an non-attenuative english yeast.

Which specific yeast did you first pitch?

No I didn't rehydrate. Didn't realize I should have and I started with safale-04 and repitched with safale-05

That S-04 usually takes off like a rocket and doesn't stop until there's nothing left. I agree with Jawbox that a bigger brown will usually finish higher because there are more unfermentables in it. That's what gives it the flavor you're after.

Okay, I was thinking like I was missing something because I wasn't getting the attenuation that I was expecting. Looks like I'll be bottling this weekend! Thanks for the help!

So I bottled it today didn't see any decrease in gravity. So my FG = 1.024. Which gives me an ABV of 6.41%.

In thinking about doing this for next time... more hops and figure out what I can do to make this a "bigger" beer.

I attached two pictures. I think it will clear up some... we will see.

ForumRunner_20110924_180712.jpg

ForumRunner_20110924_180729.jpg

Latest posts

Back