Help bottling 17 month old beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZCyclone

Reaction score
So long story short in February of 2012 I made a 5 gal bath of PTE. Sadly life got in the way and this one batch just never got moved to secondary. It's sat in my garage through winter and summer and winter and half of this summer and I got it down to dump. Would you believe it was tasty?!?!? All the hops were long gone of course but it was tasty. No odd flavors from sitting on trube for 17 months, nothing off at all. So I racked it onto 2 oz of hops and it's setting in secondary now at about 11.8% ABV.

My question ere is I have never dealt with a beer this old and my guess is the yeast have long ago given up the ghost. My plan is to bottle this beer, how do I go about getting it bottle carbbed now? Do I make a starter and then add the amount of corn sugar to that and then pitch all of that or what?

I really am at a loss here.

If the yeast IS dead, you can add another dose of it at bottling. Why not stick an airlock on top and feed it some sugar to see if it kicks off again?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You will definitely need to add some yeast to the bottling bucket with the priming solution. A 1/4 packet of dry yeast should suffice. Do not bottle this without adding yeast, it has been too long and the yeast are most certainly dead. The plus side is, you'll have crystal clear beer with very little sediment in the bottle.

BeerSK you are right, this beer is awesomely clear! lol. It was wildly tasty too, I was shocked! So I figured I'd have to add some yeast and corn sugar right before bottling. How much sugar? Just the normal amount? That's what I would figure.

BeerSK you are right, this beer is awesomely clear! lol. It was wildly tasty too, I was shocked! So I figured I'd have to add some yeast and corn sugar right before bottling. How much sugar? Just the normal amount? That's what I would figure.

The priming sugar amount wont change. Carb it to whatever level you like.

I agree that you should add a little fresh yeast.

Back