HELP Almond wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
So I have it in a pail for 5 days. Fermentation has stopped, no bubbles, no sound, very strong alchol taste. Starting sg was 1.090 now it is 1.000

Directions are not clear on many different recipes for the Almond wine, just to rack to secondary in 5 or 6 days.

No directions to add sparkeloid, k-meta or sorbate. Do I add these now?

There is really nothing to strain
Can some one help?

Almond Wine

Makes 1 Gallon I did make 2 gallons
Like a mild amaretto.
Ingredients

• 1 cup whole almonds
• 2 lemons, juice and rind
• 1 1/2 pounds light raisins
• 5 cups granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
• 1 campden tablet
• 1 teaspoon pectic enzyme
• 1 package wine yeast
• water

Chop almonds and raisins finely in a food processor. DO NOT over process almonds or you will end up with almond butter.
Place in a large pot and cover with water. Simmer for
1 hour, adding water periodically to prevent scorching. Strain out solids and place liquid in primary fermentor. I had them in a bag and removed the bag

Add water to make up to 1 gallon and all other ingredients except the yeast. Let sit overnight. Check specific gravity --
it should be between 1.090 and 1.100. Add yeast. Stir daily for five or six days, until frothing stops. This may be slow to start fermenting.

Strain. Siphon into secondary fermentor and attach airlock.

For a dry wine, rack in three weeks, and every three months for one year. Bottle.

For a sweet wine, rack at three weeks. Add 1/2 cup sugar dissolved in 1 cup wine. Stir gently, and place back into secondary fermentor.

Repeat process every six weeks until fermentation does not restart with the addition of sugar. Rack every three months until one year old. Bottle.

i've never made this type of wine but i'd transfer it to the secondary for a month to make sure that it's done fermenting and that there are no lees dropping

+1 it needs to go in a secondary. How hot was it where the fermenter was, and what kind of yeast did you use??? To go from 1.090 to 1.000 in 5 days is crazy fast.

It is supposed to taste like Amaretto so I am thinking that is the reason to add more sugar (in warmed wine) to the carboy because Amaretto is on the sweeter side. I am not clear though when to add the sugar to the carboy. I was hoping to find some one who has made this wine because the directions are a little strange compared to other wines I have made. And I am still a newbie.

It would be better if you can keep the secondary in a cooler place. As to the sugar you can add more in the secondary. keep in mind it will continue to ferment until all the sugar is gone or until the yeast reaches max alcohol content. If trying to max out the yeast to result in unfermented sugar it is best to add a little at a time or there is a good chance your fermentation will stick.

Latest posts

Back