Help: 120v for 10g batch? New BK/HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spatrickwood

Reaction score
I am brewing 5 and lighter 10 gallon batches on my stove and I am wanting to upgrade to a bigger kettle and switch to only 10-gallon batches with electric. I have two kids under the age of two and it is difficult to brew as frequently as I would like so I want to increase my batch size to only 10 gallons.

I am trying to keep the investment down and only replace my HLT/BK with an electric setup. I have a cooler that I use for MLT that is big enough for big 10-gallon beers. The issue I am running into is I am brewing in my kitchen and only have access to 120v.

Does anyone brew 10 gallon batches with success while only using 120v? Am I missing a common workaround on here? It seems like I would have to start brewing in my basement in order to use 220v.

Again, I am brand new to electric brewing and have been scouring this forum for the past couple of weeks so I apologize for the naive questions. My ideal jump would be Kal's pre-assembled heating element kit seems like a great clean addition to a 15 or 20 gallon kettle from Brewers Hardware.

Thanks all!

If you have access to two separate 20a, 120v circuits, two 2000w elements should do it. I wouldn't bother if you only have access to one.

There are online electric calculators that will tell you how long it will take to raise the temperature of water based on efficiency and volume. That's probably a good starting point to figure out how much wattage you need.

Some other ideas for electric power are:
- Heat Sticks
- upgrading your stove electric element to a canning element (offers about 20% more power)
- getting a wide kettle and using 2 elements.
- Doing split batches and boil using two pots
- pulling your stove out and using the 220v

I'm probably one of the few here set up to do 10G batches in their kitchen with just 120V outlets, although I really have only been doing 5 gallon batches lately. I'm using three seperate 20A circuits for my set up, so I have 10 gauge extension cords going all over the place. Lately I've been doing 5 gallon batches with 2x1500W elements in the kettle and a separate 1000W element in my rims tube. 3000W in an insulated keggle has been more than enough for 5 gallons, but if I were doing 10 gallons I would put the rims tube element in the kettle so I can get 4000W, which would be plenty.

The reason I'm not doing 2x2000W elements is because I need some overhead for pumps and electronics, and I just wanted to make it safer.

I am brewing 5 and lighter 10 gallon batches on my stove and I am wanting to upgrade to a bigger kettle and switch to only 10-gallon batches with electric. I have two kids under the age of two and it is difficult to brew as frequently as I would like so I want to increase my batch size to only 10 gallons.

I am trying to keep the investment down and only replace my HLT/BK with an electric setup. I have a cooler that I use for MLT that is big enough for big 10-gallon beers. The issue I am running into is I am brewing in my kitchen and only have access to 120v.

Does anyone brew 10 gallon batches with success while only using 120v? Am I missing a common workaround on here? It seems like I would have to start brewing in my basement in order to use 220v.

Again, I am brand new to electric brewing and have been scouring this forum for the past couple of weeks so I apologize for the naive questions. My ideal jump would be Kal's pre-assembled heating element kit seems like a great clean addition to a 15 or 20 gallon kettle from Brewers Hardware.

Thanks all!

Please correct me if I am wrong (probably am), but it sounds like he is going to be in his kitchen so theoretically, he could use the burner on his stove in addition to the 120v heating element so he would not be relying completely on the 120v element. would that potentially work for u/spatrickwood?

In order to brew 15 gallons in a kitchen with a typical type kitchen range, IMO at the minimum you would need...

A 2000w element on a 20 amp gfi, heatstick or installed in kettle, your choice. A 15 gallon kettle on the stove burner in conjunction with the 2000w element.

If you have 2, 20 amp GFI circuits you could use two 2000w elements and not bother using the stove top.

I am trying to keep the investment down...

Doesn't get any cheaper than this to possibly assist your stovetop....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Travel-Coff...all_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item27e6db8b37
I bought similar and actually temporarily heated up a large hot tub with it...took a couple days but actually got too hot. Disclaimer! YMMV!!! This is bare bones cheap solution. Succesful use will depend upon your skill and luck... :)

This is the one I have...never used it for brewing but it does seem to work fine...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FO8FY68/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Some are using them to heat strike water in this thread..
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/i-love-waking-up-hot-strike-water-easy-1-2-3-a-381737/
or some use this bucket heater
http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...gclid=CLqG-JeU67QCFQWe4Aoda04AFw#.VD0TTfldVU9

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my same problem, no access to 240v, i bought everything to handle the 240v power but going to hook it up with 120v first to try and see how it goes. If not then I'll see about getting an electrician about putting in an outlet for me.
I did read somewhere to wrap the pot/keg in insulation to save on heat loss which should help a lot

any estimate on how much $ it would cost for the electrcian to change this? I understand that this will vary greatly based on many factors but just trying to determine if this is a $300 kind of thing or $3,000 kind of thing

If it's just through a unfinished bsmt I wouldn't think it's more then a few hundred but if ur wall fishing to a different floor then that's were it can get up in price

any estimate on how much $ it would cost for the electrcian to change this? I understand that this will vary greatly based on many factors but just trying to determine if this is a $300 kind of thing or $3,000 kind of thing

The cost will vary widely depending on a few things...

1. location, local market / economy
2. How hungry the electrician is
3. Extent of work required...The easiest job would be to just change the outlet on an existing service, and perhaps snap a GFI breaker into the main panel ($300-500). A difficult job would be to need to install / upgrade service to the house due to not having enough total amps to service a home brewery. ($3,000 - $10,000)

Running one 240v new circuit w/ GFI approx. 50' to a interior location simple install, guessing $500 - $1000. The required parts and wire alone is likely $200 - $400.

Not an electrician here, just taking an educated guess....

Back