Hello

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodeno

Reaction score
Hello all! I am brand new to brewing, well I guess I will be in about a month. I have wanted to brew for quite some time, but have not been able to get around to it, but my wife is buying all I need for my birthday here soon!
I look forward to learning all I can!

Not yet, but I should probably think about doing that! What have you found that is a good starter recipe(s)?

Welcome to the community and the awesome hobby of home brewing. Your wife will learn to hate it lol. She will have created a monster lol. Welcome buddy! Enjoy yourself and have a blast.

Welcome! My husband and I brew together, but let's face it, its my hobby. :) include her and she will have fun with you. Cooking together is always fun, no matter the form. I bottle my first batch today, then tomorrow I am brewing a milk chocolate stout. Mmmmm.

Welcome. As you get used to the process and sanitation, keep the recipe simple. Best to start off with at least a couple of kits from your local home brew store (or mail order supplier). This way you can get comfortable with the process of brewing and not have to worry about design.

I personally love IPA, and they can have a very simple grain bill. The hardest part is decided which hops to use and when. Either way, have fun and enjoy it. The beer you brew gets better the more you do

The starter ingredient kits are a great way to get going. They are almost foolproof. There is a lot of great information in the extract forums and beginners forums. Be sure to read through the stickies and see where the instructions that come with the kit may differ from the recommendations you find here. I'd especially like to point out the importance on temperature control during fermentation. It's one of the best things you can do to help yourself make good beer.

Check out the Northern Brewer extract kits. I did one of those (Irish Red) as my first brew, and it went pretty well.

As a fellow beginner, my biggest piece of advice is to ensure that you're fermenting at the correct temperature. That was probably my biggest mistake in my first batch. I didn't have any way to control my fermentation temperature.

What is the best way to control the temp during fermentation, what is the best temp (around 70?)?

What is the best way to control the temp during fermentation, what is the best temp (around 70?)?

It will depend on the yeast that you use, but generally 65-68F is a good range. Do a search here for "swamp cooler" for a low tech way to control temps. Many here use a dedicated fridge or chest freezer with a temperature controller attached to manage fermentation temps.

Most important thing is to have consistent temps. If it's 70, but it's always 70, that's ok. Big temp swings are bad. Temp too high (>72 generally) is bad. Temp too low is bad.

Back