hello to all from north California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex510

Reaction score
I am Alex, I just started getting back into brewing after my sister found my old brewing stuff in her garage. A lot has changed since 1987. I only want to make 5-gallon batches 2 x a year. just me drinking it . This is what I have now and was hoping someone here can tell me if I am missing anything for a 5-gallon brew.
1. burner
2. 24-quart brew pot
3. 10 gallon Rubbermaid mash tun
4. 2- 5-gallon glass carboys
Am I missing anything? also, should I keep post here or a different section? will post pics tonight. thank u

Attachments

• DSCN2846.JPG
    DSCN2846.JPG
    782.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN2848.JPG
    DSCN2848.JPG
    946.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN2846.JPG
    DSCN2846.JPG
    782.7 KB · Views: 12
As far as the basic brew system I'd say your golden. It is all other little stuff that might be needed in order to get a batch finished, a racking cane with siphon, capper w caps and bottles, those kinds of things. Also, I'd skip the glass and get a brew bucket for the fermentation, way safer. Good luck :mug:

Thank you so much! I have a box with all the little stuff. Yes, I think those glass things will be to heavy for me. I will try to sell or trade them for a plastic bucket for fermentation. What is your opinion on using a 10-gallon igloo water cooler for fermentation? I have a chance to pick up a new one for $20.00 dollars. again thank you

just talk to a brewer guy-says you can ferment in a water cooler/so I am not sure still it's only 5 gallons so I will try I guys and the cooler is only 20.00 dollars

Attachments

• DSCN2852.JPG
    DSCN2852.JPG
    944.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2851.JPG
    DSCN2851.JPG
    848.3 KB · Views: 6
Depends on how many gals you want to brew. With a 10 gal cooler you can easily do almost any 5 gal batch. If you plan on making smaller batches I guess the 5 gal will work. :bigmug:

Hi cmac
Have you ever fermented in a 10(new) gallon home depot water cooler?

Attachments

• DSCN2851.JPG
    DSCN2851.JPG
    848.3 KB · Views: 0
I feel like this is one of those just because you can should you moments. A used 5-gallon pin lock keg works great as a fermenter and they're cheap. It is the cheapest stainless steel pressure vessel you are going to find for homebrewing. $30 from these guys.

Welcome, from another NorCal resident.

Plastic fermenter buckets with lids are really cheap, I'd recommend just picking one up. I don't know how well those coolers actually "seal", which you want during fermentation to make sure oxygen isn't getting in, but CO2 can escape. That cooler is probably a better candidate for a mash tun if you plan to make a switch from extract to all grain at some point.

This forum is a great wealth of knowledge. Happy brewing!

Hello thank you all for the help I will need it- I live so close to 3 brew store hop tech, more beer, and Williams. the town is called Hayward ca 94541. All are 15 min drives away.

How does a pin lock keg work/? I have been buying all my stuff(money is a little tight right now) from CL.
So the consensus is no home depot cooler- and yes on the bucket .right? and I will need 2 buckets and a brew bag to fit the mash 10-gallon tun. Out of the 3 places I live by who does everybody recommend?

How does a pin lock keg work/? I have been buying all my stuff(money is a little tight right now) from CL.
So the consensus is no home depot cooler- and yes on the bucket .right? and I will need 2 buckets and a brew bag to fit the mash 10-gallon tun. Out of the 3 places I live by who does everybody recommend?

Other than the quick disconnects (QDs), no different than a ball lock. I should clarify. Pin lock kegs are short and stubby whereas ball block kegs are thinner and taller (than pin lock kegs).

Please realize. Pin lock = Coke kegs (et al), and ball lock legs = Pepsi kegs (et al).

Most, once they decide on pin vs ball lock, stick with their choice.

I recommend MoreBeer, I go to their Los Altos store and they are great. Reminds me, I'm brewing this weekend, I need to get my ingredients!

Buckets work great and you can get an oversized 6.5 gallon one too. I have ordered from Williams and Morebeer and like them both. Never been to either one and never heard of hop tech. Maybe check out Yelp and see what people say about their service and prices. Or check their websites since they are probably curbside only pickup these days anyway. I also think with either one they deliver to you for free since you're so close.

Hey @alex510 and hello from Sacramento. Dude, your set! Not to mention whatever you need is a short drive away. Welcome back to the hobby

I scored a primary fermenter 6.5-gallon last night for 10 dollars. I think I still want a bottling bucket with a spigot also. I will order/pick up a brew bag by next week. Do they make 10-gallon mash tun size?
hey, (NGD) neighbor:) Do you know if there is a brew club out our way?

Hello to all my new friends - So I add a little more to Red rooster brewery -lol that's what I called my little brewery back in 1987 high school days lol. So a 7-gallon bucket with a spigot and a 10-gallon brew back $30.00 at more beer! not bad.
But I have a questions. why is there a tiny little hole in the lid of the(blue tape) new buck?

Attachments

• DSCN2855.JPG
    DSCN2855.JPG
    742 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN2854.JPG
    DSCN2854.JPG
    917.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN2853.JPG
    DSCN2853.JPG
    807.9 KB · Views: 3
I found out while at more beer that the mash tun is only 5 gallons -So with grains inside the tun will 5 gallons of water fit? Also, I have a lot of questions about a recipe for the first brew. Where should I post my questions at? Thank you to all for all your help.

I would guess this is where the air lock is installed. Something like this guy:
AirLock.JPG

I found out while at more beer that the mash tun is only 5 gallons -So with grains inside the tun will 5 gallons of water fit? Also, I have a lot of questions about a recipe for the first brew. Where should I post my questions at? Thank you to all for all your help.

Generally if you plan to do a 5 gal batch, you're gonna want a 10 gal+ mash tun. The 5 gal cooler may only be able to do 2-3 gal batches. Also looking at you kettle, that may be a limiting factor as well.

Are you planning to go straight to all-grain, or start with extract? The hardware you have looks like extract may be the route to go.

The forum does have sections for each of those respective brewing processes.

Hi D
Good eye on the kettle thanks! So I guess I should make 3-gallon batches. I guess whatever recipe I do it will be for 3 gallons. I also have regular airlocks --I guess I can drill it out an inch

Hi D
Good eye on the kettle thanks! So I guess I should make 3-gallon batches. I guess whatever recipe I do it will be for 3 gallons. I also have regular airlocks --I guess I can drill it out an inch

Yeah, look around the all grain forums, they will be able to help with recipe questions. Make sure to do your volume calcs and make sure your equipment can hold it.

Your regular airlock should be able to fit in that black rubber grommet from what I see (reference the same black grommet on the picture I attached above). You shouldn't have to modify anything.

Happy brewing! BTW, what part of NorCal are you from?

hello from Hayward Ca 94541 :)
The airlock hole is so small the airlock will not fit.. something is not right here

The airlock hole is so small the airlock will not fit.. something is not right here

Hello from Los Altos!

Hmm, that's strange about the hole being the wrong size, A pic of the airlock and your lid would be nice. You could also call the guys at more beer and ask a little more about it...

Keg lube..make it fit.

I wonder if its designed for a blowoff setup.

This are close up pics -I can make it work but it is really a tight fit tho.
ps. I will be starting a thread over on recipes please fallow :) thanks

Attachments

• DSCN2857.JPG
    DSCN2857.JPG
    795.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN2856.JPG
    DSCN2856.JPG
    811.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi cmac
Have you ever fermented in a 10(new) gallon home depot water cooler?
Sorry for the late reply, but yes I used a Lowes version of that for years. The biggest beer I ever made with it was a English Barleywine. I think it had like 26 lbs of grain. The mash was definately thick, but it won a second place in a So Cal comp. :bigmug:

The airlock will work but i really have to force in - but it does fit.
I really will have to make my measurements carefully then. please follow me on my other thread I got going -thank you for all your help!

Airlock fit = Tight is good as the point is to keep the air out ; )

Blow-off = aggressive fermentation can push the airlock out of its hole along with the krausen, and that built up pressure that forces the airlock and krausen out will translate to a clean up job (shake a soda or beer and open it up ... think that on a larger scale)

Welcome to the HBT forums

Are you using a 3 piece arlock? if yes, you remove the lid and inside part and attach a section of hose to the out port inside and the other end of this hose goes into a jar/bottle of starsan. Then if the krausen blows out of fermenter it goes into the jar and not all over the floor. On my second brew, an imperial stout, I messed up somewhere and the lid blew off of the bucket. I had to clean wort/beer off of the floor, walls and ceiling. SWIMBO was not pleased. LOL

Back