Hello - Intro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitewater

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Mike, live in Northern CA, Placerville area. Brewed my first batch yesterday, seem to be having problems with fermentation so I stumbled upon this site looking for clues.
I have several friends who are very active home brewers and have been wanting to get into it myself for a couple years now.
In laws got me a beginner kit for Christmas and I'm off and running, well walking. If my airlock was bubbling I'd consider it a run but until then... maybe a crawl actually. No matter, I'll be doing another batch in a couple weeks either way.

If you just brewed yesterday, how do you know you've got fermentation issues? It can take 72 hours for a beer to start up.

Also, your airlock has nothing to do with fermentation. All it does is vent all the gas buildup in your fermentor. If fermentation hasn't created enough gas, or you have a leak in the bucket/bottle, you won't see bubbling. Don't rely on your airlock.

I would recommend placing that fermentor some place you cant get to very easily. Then take a specific gravity in two weeks. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for the responses. I'm guessing a typical newbie mistake is to put too much faith in the airlock. It looks to be fermenting, nice layer of krausen on top and white things swimming around. I'm trying to leave it alone but it's hard. Think I'll swing by the home brew store today and get some ingredients for another batch.

It's a little easier to let it sit once you've actually tasted the fruits of your labors. Good luck and welcome to the madness.

Back