Hello, I am a newbie!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medic151

Reaction score
Just got an 8 gallon still for my 30th wedding/funeral anniversary. Looking at all the info makes it somewhat daunting, but I will get there eventually. I have access to alot of pure cheap honey as there is an apiary about 20 minutes from me. Waiting on my fermenting bucket and several other things to arrive before I make a run. I will apologise in advance for the dumb questions, lol.

I will apologise in advance for the dumb questions, lol.

you and me both! for some reason i wanted to ask if 85c at the top of the head was normal for 12%....800watts of power. i was pulling 70% at first....

but i'm affraid not much activity happens in this forum here.....

Welcome! Have Fun! :mug:

you and me both! for some reason i wanted to ask if 85c at the top of the head was normal for 12%....800watts of power. i was pulling 70% at first....

but i'm affraid not much activity happens in this forum here.....

Welcome! Have Fun! :mug:
Those numbers look reasonable. Here's a curve fit formula for ABV vs. head temp based on three runs.

1628901803072.png

Brew on :mug:

Those numbers look reasonable. Here's a curve fit formula for ABV vs. head temp based on three runs.

View attachment 738941

Brew on :mug:

looks like a nice chart to have, when the head reached ~90c i was only pulling 60%....called it at that.

(and this is way way off-topic, but i put a sample on the refrac and it was 18.8 BRIX, and the proof hydro read 68%, which would be SG of 0.885...and beer smith's calc for ABV from thos two readings was really good! but if @Medic151 wants to make alco pop- it's good to know the trick! :mug:)

Sorry, been busy and waiting for more supplies to come in. Anyone have a simple recipe for a first timer? The above info is greek to me, ha ha. I will learn it eventually.

avoid turbo yeast at all costs!

my goto for simple always was boiling wheat germ, 1/2lb-1lb or so....and adding it to a sugar water mixture of 5-6 gallons. 13lbs sugar will get you 16% ABV, and wine yeast should ferment that high?

avoid turbo yeast at all costs!

my goto for simple always was boiling wheat germ, 1/2lb-1lb or so....and adding it to a sugar water mixture of 5-6 gallons. 13lbs sugar will get you 16% ABV, and wine yeast should ferment that high?
Thanks, I will check it out.

There are home distilling forums out there too, seperate from hbd that contain a wealth of info.

homedistiller.org is where i learned most of what i know...but was only really into it for a year back in 2008...(still got my first bottle! aging on valley oak, tastes like sucking on a vanilla bean at this point!)

edit: which is depressing, because chance had it i ran it on the 4th of july, and it tastes like candian mist on steroids....

Back