Hello from Utah.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it can be as expensive or cheap as you want! i bought $400-600 bucks worth of stuff back in ~2002....still using it today and can brew a $8 10 gallon batch of 8% beer now....or around $25 for 9%, and shipping on store bought malt....still a lot cheaper then a $20 30 pack or 4.5%

WELCOME! :mug: (don't let them give you too much crap, they like it expensive.....)

$400-$600 from 2002 is like $4,000 today isn't it?

Just kidding...haha. I should have kept better track...but I try to keep myself honest and avoid the pitfalls of trinkets, gadgets and fully automated brew systems that would further entice me to retire early! I'm trying to decide whether I want to tinker with an iSpindle or buy a grain mill. My wife said I don't need either.

I beg to differ.

$400-$600 from 2002 is like $4,000 today isn't it?

Just kidding...haha. I should have kept better track...but I try to keep myself honest and avoid the pitfalls of trinkets, gadgets and fully automated brew systems that would further entice me to retire early! I'm trying to decide whether I want to tinker with an iSpindle or buy a grain mill. My wife said I don't need either.

I beg to differ.

well, i did upgrade from my phil mill to a JSP which cost another ~$150....and i replaced my false bottom, with stainless braid, then the bazooka tube i use now.....and i've gone through a few co2 regs, upgraded my 5lb'r with a 20lb'r......i do have 3 refrigerators.....6 kegs, i just bought some spiffy new silicone gas tubing.....just had to swap out my tank of co2 for $27.....

but that to me is just maintenance.....lol (you don't count oil changes on a car)

(and all in all i drink 10-12 8-9% beers a day, the equiv of 18-20 store bought for $1,500 a year...equip included and sub catoragized under alcohol in my financial software....)

edit: if i drank like a sane person and only had 3 a day or something, it'd be a quarter of that.....

thank you all for the kind words. my wife and i, will go through on average 4 30 packs a month. i like good tasting beer, but being a diabetic, good tasting means hi blood sugars. i have been reading every book that i can on beer brewing and i know what i need to do, until the pandemic, i never had the time. now i do. the beer we buy costs around 900 a year( give or take) so there's that.

but being a diabetic,

i ferment all my beer dry with gluco-amylase, something you can only do if you make your own....0 carbs...i do it for calories, but my last a1c was 4.6.....

for fun i drank as cheap as i could for a year, ended up spending $500 for the equiv of a case a day......IT CAN BE CHEAP , if you want it to be!

Back