Hello from Upstate NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daphatgrant

Reaction score
Hello HBT, I've been a member here for a bit now and never officially said hello. I haven't made any beer yet (I'm still acquiring parts) but I've made hard cider a few times in the past with relatively good luck.

I've always had a love for beer but have always been intimidated by the process. Recently I was able to "shadow" a long time friend of mine who happens to be the best home brewer that I know. In one afternoon I was able to acquire more information than I had gathered in, I'd chance to guess... 15hrs of youtube videos, lol. The day after doing a hands on batch I started ordering equipment. I've always wanted to do this but have always hesitated, not this year!

The parts have started rolling in and hopefully soon, Jan? I'll be able to start my first batch.

I just wanted to stop in, say hello, thank everyone here for all of the phenomenal information and patience and say that I expect to be a productive member of this community for quite some time. :mug:

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

Doing a joint brew day is the best way to learn. Good luck setting up your system.

Welcome neighbor. Check out Saltcitybrewclub.org. This is the Syracuse area brew club.

Used to be on another forum with a daphatgrant. I seem to recall him being a firefighter. Are you him?

Used to live in Oswego now relaxing in Florida but loved the upstate area where I was born and raised.

Born in Syracuse lived in North Syracuse before the move to Oswego.

Welcome to the hobby!!

Welcome, I'm from Brooklyn, born and raised. Just moved to Tampa a few years ago. Spent most of my summers up in Port Jervis. Although I do miss the hills of upstate I wouldn't trade them for the sunny winters.
This weekend is learn to homebrew day. Go on the American Homebrewers Assoc. website and see if anyone is hosting an event near you.
I attended one at my neighbor's house last year and jumped right in. It was a bit overwhelming. From knowing nothing about homebrewing and seeing 4 different setups being brewed at the same time. But it was very informative and I jumped right in. This year I'll be brewing at his house. If I can give you one piece of advice, don't even bother with one gallon batches. You will outgrow that quick.
Best of luck and cheers :mug:

Welcome to the forum. I am a new Brewer and have read and learned so much from this site. I too am from upstate NY (close to Utica) but know the Syracuse area very well. If you need any recommendations for homebrew stores, co2, or anything feel free to send me a pm or ask.

I'm in the central NY area close to Utica. I'm always looking to try new recipes and share ideas for different styles of beers. Pm me if you want to exchange beers. Happy brewing

Anyone from the Utica area looking for new ideas on brewing?

Back