Hello from the Great White North

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmo Peach

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used to brew extract kits in the 90's then life got in the way. I am now retired, 30 years as a professional safe cracker and ten years as a school teacher. Changed careers at age 52. I have taken to all grain brewing. I bought a Brewzilla (steep learing curve for me) and have made some very nice beers and one stout that tasted like coffe no my cup of Joe. I bought a used kegerator and am trying to figure out how to use all the new fangle stuff. It is not as easy as open the can add some hot water cool and pitch yeast wait acouple of week then bottle. I do enjoy learning new things so the all grain brewing is fun for me.

That's an interesting career path. I started out as a teacher, but dropped out. I started brewing in the 90's, but never quit. I still do extract brewing. Welcome back to the hobby.

Last edited:
I think you'll like it this is a great site. Lots of good information, great recipes, and friendly folks. Welcome to the beer brewing rabbit hole from CO.

giphy (1).gif

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, and back to brewing from NY. Those electric systems are all the rage right now, and for good reason hitting and maintaining mash temps makes better wort and consistency on the hot side. I switched to BIAB after my third extract brew that I wasn’t happy with, though if I have a time crunch a quick extract brew is still an option.

Lots of youtubers out there to show how they do it and help you do it.
Managed keg setup and good pour now with the help I got.
Keep brewing simple stuff first and then get adventurous. Took me about 30 brews before I tackled an NEIPA, they are a challenge of your technique.

Back