Hello from Southern Maryland/DC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicMurphy

Reaction score
So this is long overdue (as I have been using homebrewtalk.com for awhile), but hello! My name is Mic, I live in Southern Maryland and work at a top regional theater in Washington DC. I have been brewing for 6 years total, however I took about 3 years off in the middle as I didn't have the time. I have brewed extract for most of that time, but have recently switched to all grain. I am using a coleman extreme as a mash tun and my old brew kettle with a hot water heater element as a hot liquor tank. I have also built a temperature controlled fermentation chamber as well as a keezer (as one of the main reasons I stopped brewing to begin with was the hassle of bottling). I am always asking questions and doing research in order to make better beers, so thanks in advance for any wisdom you may impart. Hopefully I can return the favor! Thanks!

Welcome back to brewing. All grain and kegging are definite plusses to stay with it for a long time.

Thanks!

It was funny, I approached my wife with "I want to start brewing again, but I'm gonna need to put some money into it...I'm not bottling".... She was on board once I explained to her we would have cold beer on tap.

The second time around was so much better. I read and researched and began to actually understand the process as opposed to following a set of instructions from a kit. After I began to make good beers, all grain was the next logical step... although I did again have to convince my wife to let me spend the money. She was totally on board with the investment after she was able to taste my first attempt straight from a tap.....

It's always best to have full support from your better half. At the moment I estimate we're down to drinking $7 pints here, not counting labor, but the more I brew the more that price drops. :ban:

I recently started using a brew kettle for multi-step mashing, and when done, scoop the mash into the Coleman Extreme just for lautering and sparging. Just easier than tinkering with RIMS and HERMS right now, certainly for 5 or 10 gallon batches.

If you're in need of grain, check out our DC Metro Area Bulk Buy program.

That looks amazing! The fall is super busy at the theater so I may look into this come the first of the year.
On a side note, I am actually stopping by 3 Stars tomorrow to get ingredients for my next brew day. Although the hours are tricky, I appreciate not having to drive to Annapolis all the time to fill my grain bills (although they are SUPER great over there). Also, I can't come home from Annapolis with a growler of awesome pale ale.

We end up doing bulk buys around 4 times a year, at undetermined intervals, so everyone plans ahead and buys at least 4-6 months worth of grains. Plus we do splits of specialty malts and stuff. I admit, pricing is not stellar, but still better than most brew shops in this area, and the assortment is large. And 3 Stars is very accommodating. :rockin:

Are you talking about Annapolis Homebrew (Severna Park) or is there another HB store in Annapolis?
I like Annapolis HB because their selection is good, over 200 grain varieties, lots of yeast, and service is second to none. Oops, misread...correction... I don't know where one can fill growlers in Annapolis, maybe at Wholefoods? I only know of FishPaws in Arnold, 10 taps, but they'll be expanding, hopefully soon.

Sorry, yes.. Annapolis Home Brew. I have had great experiences with them, they have basically everything I need for my recipes and are super friendly. I have called them during a few brew day disasters and they have been able to save me every time. With that said, I live in Fort Washington and the 2 hour round trip doesn't always work for me. I'm thankful I can now go into DC in a pinch and get the things I need WITH the added bonus of getting some good beer to take home in a growler.

I have had ok experiences with Maryland Homebrew...sort of hit or miss, and MyLHBS in NoVa has essentially always been a miss for me.

Sorry, yes.. Annapolis Home Brew. I have had great experiences with them, they have basically everything I need for my recipes and are super friendly. I have called them during a few brew day disasters and they have been able to save me every time. With that said, I live in Fort Washington and the 2 hour round trip doesn't always work for me. I'm thankful I can now go into DC in a pinch and get the things I need WITH the added bonus of getting some good beer to take home in a growler.

I have had ok experiences with Maryland Homebrew...sort of hit or miss, and MyLHBS in NoVa has essentially always been a miss for me.

Yeah, 3 Stars is pretty darn good, as long as you can plan around their hours. 2 hours RT to Severna Park gets to you, unless you have other business to attend in the area.

There's a shop people in NOVA seem to like, particularly for their grain pricing by the sack, The Brew Shop in Fredericksburg, but that's a trek for anyone unless you live in the vicinity. Last time I looked you had to pre-order all whole sacks of base grain to get the good price, they don't seem to stock much of that beyond what they sell per pound. And there's Jay's in Manassas.

I like MD Homebrew and they have things one can't get anywhere else, unless you mail order. But their grain selection can't compare to Annapolis HB. No-one's can.

Back