Hello from southeast WI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SconnieBrewer

Reaction score
I've been brewing for ~6 months and trolling this forum religiously. What a great resource for the new brewer!

Like many others here, it all started with a gift from the wife. Got a 1 gal APA extract starter kit for Christmas, which led to 10 batches over the next 2 months. Quickly converted a 5 gallon cooler MLT, built some stir plates, wired up an STC-1000 and a small fridge, and started down the 5 gallon all grain road. How to Brew and Brewing Classic Styles are already starting to lose their binding. I've got BeerSmith on the computer and iPad. I've tailored Kaiser's great brew log to my needs and keep everything in a 3-ring binder (in page protectors...yes, I am that anal).

Not being happy with my local water report (total hardness 511 ppm with a residual alkalinity of 220 ppm to boot), I've recently started using distilled water and building water profiles using Martin Brungard's wonderful spreadsheet. My beers have since improved dramatically.

Needless to say, I'm hooked.

Back