Hello from SCOTLAND

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobius

Reaction score
No, I don't drink whisky all the time, I've only tried it once.

Now I've got that out the way, hi!

Recently I've been reading quite a bit about Homebrewing, and it seems like a pretty cool hobby with major benefits.

One of these is the fact that alcohol turns out to be pretty damn expensive, and come September I shall be a poor student living away from home.

I plan to start off Homebrewing with something simple like Kilju and seeing how that turns out.

But I've been having some trouble finding out some of the most basic information.

For instance, everything seems to mention "Make sure you clean/sanitise" but nothing says particular what you should do to achieve this.

There is also a problem with bottles; glass bottles seem to be popular, but I see pictures of people using plastic milk bottles and the like.

Basically, I guess what I'm looking for is a link where I can find a really dumbed down beginners guide so I don't kill myself trying.

Here is a great link from John Palmer to help get you started http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html. To answer some of your questions. Most people (if not kegging) are using glass beer bottles. These are often just bottles that they saved from buying commercial beers.

In regard to sanitizing you will get a lot of different responses from people from Star San (which is what I use) to iodophor, to even bleach. It mostly a matter of preference, but products like Star San do not need to be rinsed out, which is very convenient.

Welcome aboard, there a lot of really great brewers in this forum that are always willing to help answer questions.

Welcome! About 10 years ago I had a business trip at Wick in January. That's about far north as you can go in Scotland. Absolutely wonderful people. Lots of scotch, beautiful scenery, boundless fields of sheep (at least where I was).

Here is a great link from John Palmer to help get you started http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html. To answer some of your questions. Most people (if not kegging) are using glass beer bottles. These are often just bottles that they saved from buying commercial beers.

In regard to sanitizing you will get a lot of different responses from people from Star San (which is what I use) to iodophor, to even bleach. It mostly a matter of preference, but products like Star San do not need to be rinsed out, which is very convenient.

Welcome aboard, there a lot of really great brewers in this forum that are always willing to help answer questions.

Thanks for that. I feel the bleach approach is a better idea for a beginner, to see if it's something really worth getting into - from what I've read it seems really interesting, but on the internet anything can seem like that.

Welcome to the forum and homebrewing.

Definitely check out the link to Palmers site (great stuff).

Bleach will work you just have rinse it off very well because just a small amount of residue can leave a bad taste to your beer!

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!

Hi Bobby. The wife and I are in Glascow, visiting the Scottish Breweries. Where are you?

Welcome to the group, from CO. Scotland is on my "bucket list." I have a 9 month aged Wee heavy waiting for cold weather to enjoy it in.

Back