Hello from Savannah, GA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynxpilot

Reaction score
Name's David. Pondering starting a system so in a search I came across this forum. I love doing things myself and add to that I can't find my favorite beer anywhere around here. Still have a lot of research to do but looking at a BIAB system with controlled brew system and controlled fermenter with chiller. Prices kind of overwhelming from what I've seen so far. Hope to learn a bunch here.

You love DIY and prices are too dang high...
Sounds like necessity is the mother of invention!
Welcome to the obsession!

Welcome to HBT!

I love doing things myself
You found the right forum!

I can't find my favorite beer anywhere around here.
Which beer is that?
Have you looked for a clone recipe?

looking at a BIAB system with controlled brew system and controlled fermenter with chiller. Prices kind of overwhelming from what I've seen so far. Hope to learn a bunch here.
BIAB really is a misnomer. It really should be called MIAB, Mash in a Bag.
Everything BIAB/MIAB is all grain, you just use your brew kettle (with a mesh bag or stainless steel mash pipe) as the mashing system.

For 5 gallon batches all you need is a 10 gallon (using a converted cooler as mash tun) or a 15 gallon (for MIAB/BIAB) kettle.
"Systems" can be way overpriced...

Welcome to HBT!

You found the right forum!

Which beer is that?
Have you looked for a clone recipe?

BIAB really is a misnomer. It really should be called MIAB, Mash in a Bag.
Everything is all grain, you just use your brew kettle (with a mesh bag or stainless steel mash pipe) as the mashing system.

For 5 gallon batches all you need is a 10 gallon (using a converted cooler as mash tun) or a 15 gallon (for MIAB/BIAB) kettle.
"Systems" can be way overpriced...

My fav beer is Shiner Bock. None to be found in Savannah that I know of. I probably wouldn't have considered home brew if I had a reliable supply. I do, however, tend to get hooked on DIY stuff. Sounds like fun and probably really gratifying to make a good batch. Maybe find a partner or two to share the burden.

I like sophisticated gadgetry that helps attain consistent results without becoming a full-time job. So far, I was swaying toward Clawhammer 10 gallon 240v controlled mash system and Grainfather controlled fermenter/chiller combo. Big investment, but that's why I'm here.

Also don't care to go on the cheap for a questionable beginner system as that would just be an additional expense in the long run. That's just me.

Welcome to HBT. Just a thought: in Savannah you may be better off starting off considering how/where you're going to ferment and store/condition the beer as opposed to how you're going to brew it. I have a basement and live in the St. louis area. I can get away with just using that, but can you?

Welcome to HBT. Just a thought: in Savannah you may be better off starting off considering how/where you're going to ferment and store/condition the beer as opposed to how you're going to brew it. I have a basement and live in the St. louis area. I can get away with just using that, but can you?
I have a shop building with plenty of power, a/c, heat and maybe enough space.

I have a basement and live in the St. louis area. I can get away with just using that, but can you?
I think that's quite a challenge to @Lynxpilot, you'd surely notice if @Lynxpilot tried to brew in your basement!

Don't forget the brewzilla and Guten alternatives are a lot cheaper ( or bigger all in ones for the same money). My Guten 70 litre is less than a grainfather and I can do a lot bigger batch with fine control. But sometimes start simple and build up then it won't all be too much at once.

My fav beer is Shiner Bock. None to be found in Savannah that I know of
I too live in Savannah. I am pretty certain you can get Shiner Bock at Kroger and can def. get at Habersham Beverage.
Welcome to the Obsession and this forum. This forum is full of fantastic people, information, ideas, and tips. Enjoy!

Back