Hello from Salt Lake City, UT.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrill

Reaction score
I have had the equipment to brew for a few years (7 to be precise) and have only made one batch. Since I married a woman that doesn't like beer, my attention has gone elsewhere. Over time I have been able to introduce her to some styles that she does like so my interest has returned. Looking forward to getting started.

Suggestions for a first batch? The wife does not like hops so a lower IBU and is a big fan of stouts, porters, dopplebocks. She really likes Trappist style beers also.

Thanks for the read and looking forward to some brewing.

Welcome to the group, from Minnesota!

Since you're getting started, might be best to keep it simple. A stout or porter would be excellent choices. Also, blonde ales, hefeweizens, English, Irish and Scottish ales are some low-ibu brews to consider.

Being a lager, a doppelbock requires temp control.

Check out the recipe section for ideas.

Welcome. Ex-SLCer here.

The Beer Nut should have some good Stout & Porter kits that will suit your needs. I don’t recall if Salt City sold kits or not.

You could even try an Amber or IRA if your looking for something lighter in color and malt flavor than a Porter but still on the light side for hops and lower ABV.

Welcome back to the best hobby in the world. Salt Lake City Brew Supply will have kits for most if not all of those styles your interested in. I love their affiliate that's here in Ogden

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back