Hello from Point Loma!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeNavy

Reaction score
Hey all! I am pretty new to homebrewing; I've done three small batches. I wanted to do the cheap kits to get a feel for it, but couldn't stick with it for long replacing their hops and equipment. I am now using a 10gal cooler mash tun w/ a false bottom, 10 gal kettle, and 6.5gal carboy. Only issues I have had were stuck sparge, but I am guessing because the grains sent to me were way too small. Anyone else have that issue?

Welcome from north county SD! What do you do in the Navy? Thank you for your service!

The stuck sparge could be a number of things from draining the wort too fast, too fine of a crush, grain type, etc. If you are doing a batch with a bunch of hull-less grains (i.e. wheat) you should be tossing in some rice hulls to avoid a stuck sparge.

Thanks! I was sure to open the valve slowly the second time and got the same result. I'll try larger grains this weekend and rice hulls after if that doesn't work.

I'm a submariner in the navy since 2011. Brewing will be a lifesaver for that! Thanks for the input.

Thanks! I was sure to open the valve slowly the second time and got the same result. I'll try larger grains this weekend and rice hulls after if that doesn't work.

I'm a submariner in the navy since 2011. Brewing will be a lifesaver for that! Thanks for the input.

My brother went through nuke school. No he's a 60 pilot on North island. Where do you get your grains? No need to open it slowly, just open it halfway. It'll take a little longer but will still take way less than a stuck sparge haha

Shipmate: grain crush can affect more than your stuck sparge, so don't open the gap too wide or your mash efficiency will take a hit. If you can fit it into your cooler, I would get a stainless steel braid and add that under your false bottom. You can make one from a sink supply line and there are lots of threads on the internet on how to do that. I used one of these in an igloo cooler for years and never once had a stuck sparge. You found the right place to discuss brewing issues, techniques, and recipes. Welcome aboard!

My brother went through nuke school. No he's a 60 pilot on North island. Where do you get your grains? No need to open it slowly, just open it halfway. It'll take a little longer but will still take way less than a stuck sparge haha

I had a nuke option, but gladly declined! On subs, at least, they are a miserable group.

Grains I used were just from those kits and what a friend provided me with, but I will be going to the Homebrewer in North Park and having them mill for me.

Shipmate: grain crush can affect more than your stuck sparge, so don't open the gap too wide or your mash efficiency will take a hit. If you can fit it into your cooler, I would get a stainless steel braid and add that under your false bottom. You can make one from a sink supply line and there are lots of threads on the internet on how to do that. I used one of these in an igloo cooler for years and never once had a stuck sparge. You found the right place to discuss brewing issues, techniques, and recipes. Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the input! I have seen that done in a few videos/threads, but also saw others without. I am going to try with a larger grain and not fully opening the valve before adding the second braided steel if that doesn't work.

Also, I had a small issue with my cork not fully sealing for a few hours on my most recent ferment. It still has a week left, but I noticed it about 5 hours after placing it in. Will the oxygen that got in there ruin the batch, or should I be alright? The yeast still bubbled and was active for the two days after that.

P.S. I like the profile picture

I had a nuke option, but gladly declined! On subs, at least, they are a miserable group.

Grains I used were just from those kits and what a friend provided me with, but I will be going to the Homebrewer in North Park and having them mill for me.

Smart move. George is a cool dude. Know more than anyone would ever care to know about homebrewing.

Also, I had a small issue with my cork not fully sealing for a few hours on my most recent ferment. It still has a week left, but I noticed it about 5 hours after placing it in. Will the oxygen that got in there ruin the batch, or should I be alright? The yeast still bubbled and was active for the two days after that.

P.S. I like the profile picture

Nope, youre fine. Before fermentation you definitely want O2, so if some got in there thats fine. Also, the amount that probably got in is negligible. Also, most carboys/buckets/etc have a small leak somewhere so its fine. Also, fermentation produces CO2, which pushes air out, so your fine. Basically... You're fine. :)

You will be fine. Have had that happen a number of times and never had an issue with a brew. Usually what happens is the opening of the fermenter is wet and the cork doesn't seal...or on other fermenters I have an O-ring issue. For the former, I have taken to using a clean paper towel to dry the neck before plugging it up...that seems to solve that issue.

...I will be going to the Homebrewer in North Park...

Best local Home Brew shop in the city, good choice. Just go at an "off-peak" time of day, when there might be a chance of actually finding someplace to park!

You going to bottle or keg? If bottle, I got 2 crates of clean 22oz bombers, lots of caps, a benchtop capper, all free to a service member such as yourself. I'm keg only now.

You will be fine. Have had that happen a number of times and never had an issue with a brew. Usually what happens is the opening of the fermenter is wet and the cork doesn't seal...or on other fermenters I have an O-ring issue. For the former, I have taken to using a clean paper towel to dry the neck before plugging it up...that seems to solve that issue.

That is good to hear. It was definitely due to a wet fermenter, but I had sanitation jitters in regards to the paper towel. Knowing that you've used one without an issue, I'll move to that!

Best local Home Brew shop in the city, good choice. Just go at an "off-peak" time of day, when there might be a chance of actually finding someplace to park!

You going to bottle or keg? If bottle, I got 2 crates of clean 22oz bombers, lots of caps, a benchtop capper, all free to a service member such as yourself. I'm keg only now.

I've been a few times, and you are spot-on with the parking.

I will be bottling until we move into our next house in the fall, so the help would absolutely be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Smart move. George is a cool dude. Know more than anyone would ever care to know about homebrewing.

Nope, youre fine. Before fermentation you definitely want O2, so if some got in there thats fine. Also, the amount that probably got in is negligible. Also, most carboys/buckets/etc have a small leak somewhere so its fine. Also, fermentation produces CO2, which pushes air out, so your fine. Basically... You're fine. :)

So, you're saying I'm fine? Haha, thanks a lot!

I will be bottling until we move into our next house in the fall, so the help would absolutely be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

What are you doing this Sunday? I'll likely be fishing the Bay or PLK, perhaps we can meet up and I can unload my bottling stuff on you.

Also- I made a recipe on the calculator for an NEIPA. 5 gallon batch, 12.5lb grain. Problem is the IBU is 85.4 (Tinseth)

Hop schedule is:
-1.5oz. Citra @30 min
-1oz. Chinook @15 min
-1oz. Galaxy @ flame out
-1oz. Galaxy dry hop

Should I reduce the Citra or just leave something out? I want the IBU around 46-52.

Also- I made a recipe on the calculator for an NEIPA. 5 gallon batch, 12.5lb grain. Problem is the IBU is 85.4 (Tinseth)

Hop schedule is:
-1.5oz. Citra @30 min
-1oz. Chinook @15 min
-1oz. Galaxy @ flame out
-1oz. Galaxy dry hop

Should I reduce the Citra or just leave something out? I want the IBU around 46-52.

Chinook seems piney for a ne IPA. That being said, move the Chinook to dry hop and skip the 15 min addition.

Also, even in a West coast IPA I would triple your dry hops and double the flameout addition. For your hop schedule (without knowing grain/og) I would do

1.25-1.5 citra at 30
2 oz galaxy at flameout
1 oz galaxy dry hop
2 oz citra dry hop
1 oz Chinook dry hop

Either do all dry hops are 4ish days or spread them out over 2 additions for more depth

For my NEIPA's, I do the following:

60 minute - small charge of Columbus or magnum, enough to get ~90% of my target IBU
No hops during the rest of the boil.
Flameout, chill to 170, whirlpool with 30% of my remaining hop load (usually Columbus here, maybe mixed 50/50 with Citra/etc, but it varies)
Single dry hop of the rest of the hops, during fermentation, usually at day 3 but have done both early as day 0 and late as day 5 - usually high alpha, flavor and aroma hops, like Citra, Amarillo, Galaxy, Mosaic, etc.

With the hops you have, I would bitter with Chinook and save some of it for the whirlpool because I dig the flavors it contributes. Add some Galaxy or Citra to the whirlpool as well. Rest goes into dry hop day 3. You will like the results...vary it up and brew it a few times to dial in the flavors you want. Keep O2 to a minimum on the cold side after you have pitched the yeast and they start the fermentation process. This will keep your NEIPA from oxidizing and turning brown with nasty off flavors. Best of luck!

For my NEIPA's, I do the following:

60 minute - small charge of Columbus or magnum, enough to get ~90% of my target IBU
No hops during the rest of the boil.
Flameout, chill to 170, whirlpool with 30% of my remaining hop load (usually Columbus here, maybe mixed 50/50 with Citra/etc, but it varies)
Single dry hop of the rest of the hops, during fermentation, usually at day 3 but have done both early as day 0 and late as day 5 - usually high alpha, flavor and aroma hops, like Citra, Amarillo, Galaxy, Mosaic, etc.

With the hops you have, I would bitter with Chinook and save some of it for the whirlpool because I dig the flavors it contributes. Add some Galaxy or Citra to the whirlpool as well. Rest goes into dry hop day 3. You will like the results...vary it up and brew it a few times to dial in the flavors you want. Keep O2 to a minimum on the cold side after you have pitched the yeast and they start the fermentation process. This will keep your NEIPA from oxidizing and turning brown with nasty off flavors. Best of luck!

I changed to a Columbus charge at 30min, Citra and Galaxy at in whirlpool and a larger charge of Galaxy day 4. Got my IBU down to 44.9, and will tweak from there! This will be my first whirpool using a paddle and drill since I don't have the actual whirpool attachment and pump for it.

Hey, I resemble that comment! (Retired EMCM(SS)) :D

I didn't disagree with the comment. :D Thanks for your service as well.

Look forward to hearing how your NEIPA turns out!

Nice to see another Point Loma/ Ocean Beach soul on here! Stationed on North Island but live off West Point Loma! Been having similar issues, ordered my base malt from an online store and will be purchasing my specialty grains locally, milling at the LHBS for my next batch sometime this upcoming week.

Welcome to Homebrewing! I'm a reservist living in Virginia Beach now.

Started off as an HT, then went to OCS and flew SH-60Bs then E-2Cs my last tour on active duty. Loma is beautiful. I got lucky and did my AT (2 weeks active training for reserves) at EWTGPAC up in the Third Fleet Complex.

Welcome to Homebrewing! I'm a reservist living in Virginia Beach now.

Started off as an HT, then went to OCS and flew SH-60Bs then E-2Cs my last tour on active duty. Loma is beautiful. I got lucky and did my AT (2 weeks active training for reserves) at EWTGPAC up in the Third Fleet Complex.

What's the difference between a sh-60b and a mh-60s? :off:

SH-60B was (it's now retired) originally a sub hunter, that also did surface surveillance. Later on, it was modified to take Penguin and Hellfire missiles to be able to attack surface targets. Had a Radar, Electronic Surveillance Gear, Magnetic Anomaly Detector, Sonar Buoys and some other toys. For sub work, it carried Mk46 or Mk50 Torpedos.

It has now been replaced by the MH-60R, which is basically the same thing, but they took off the MAD, and added the dipping sonar from the SH-60F (also retired).

Early block MH-60Ss were just Pax, Mail, Cargo logistic helicopters. Made to replace the CH-46 Sea Knight, better known as the Phrog.

Later production MH-60S have Hellfires, Forward Firing 50 Cals and door guns.

Basically, late 90s Navy had/Current Navy Has

SH-2F/G-->MH-60R
SH-60B--> MH-60R
SH-60F--> MH-60R

HH-60H--> MH-60S
CH-46--> MH-60S
H-3 --> MH-60S

They are trying to replace the MH-53 with a 60, but it's too big to realistically replace with the 60. (75,000 pound & 15,000 hp vs 23,000 pound & 3600 hp)

In reality, the MH-53 and C-2A (fixed wing carrier cargo plane) will eventually be replaced by a greater number of Ospreys.

SH-60B was (it's now retired) originally a sub hunter, that also did surface surveillance. Later on, it was modified to take Penguin and Hellfire missiles to be able to attack surface targets. Had a Radar, Electronic Surveillance Gear, Magnetic Anomaly Detector, Sonar Buoys and some other toys. For sub work, it carried Mk46 or Mk50 Torpedos.

It has now been replaced by the MH-60R, which is basically the same thing, but they took off the MAD, and added the dipping sonar from the SH-60F (also retired).

Early block MH-60Ss were just Pax, Mail, Cargo logistic helicopters. Made to replace the CH-46 Sea Knight, better known as the Phrog.

Later production MH-60S have Hellfires, Forward Firing 50 Cals and door guns.

Basically, late 90s Navy had/Current Navy Has

SH-2F/G-->MH-60R
SH-60B--> MH-60R
SH-60F--> MH-60R

HH-60H--> MH-60S
CH-46--> MH-60S
H-3 --> MH-60S

They are trying to replace the MH-53 with a 60, but it's too big to realistically replace with the 60. (75,000 pound & 15,000 hp vs 23,000 pound & 3600 hp)

In reality, the MH-53 and C-2A (fixed wing carrier cargo plane) will eventually be replaced by a greater number of Ospreys.

Gotcha. I don't particularly love the ospreys. I find them to be one of those things that don't really know what they want to be. That being said, I think my brothers new bird is one of the newer 60s's with all the armament and what not. Pretty cool bird imo.

But to stay in topic... Beer! Haha

@JoeNavy: How did this turn out?

I actually just bottled this yesterday. We recently had our first daughter so brewing took a back seat! However, the two samples before and after ferment were good. OG was 1.066 and FG was 1.004, so about an 8%. I ended up doing a 4 day and 8 day dry hop with 1oz of Citra and 1oz Mosaic on the first round, then racked to secondary with 1oz of Citra and 1oz Galaxy. The pre-bottle sample was extremely aromatic and hazy; tasted a lot of grapefruit. Looking forward to seeing how this tastes in a few weeks!

Seems to be a lot of military brewers in Pt Loma! I also live in Pt Loma, however I work on MCAS Miramar as a C-130J mechanic. Don't have any brews goin right now as I'm in the process of building my 3 keggle, single tier HERMS system, but I can't wait to get back at it, cheers!

Might be the lighting, but compare to your other photo it looks oxidized! Lots of folks are complaining about oxidation when bottling IPAs. How does it taste/smell?

Might be the lighting, but compare to your other photo it looks oxidized! Lots of folks are complaining about oxidation when bottling IPAs. How does it taste/smell?

Slight oxidation from cavitation with the siphon, but nothing noticeable in the taste or feel. Looks a lot more golden in the light as well. For taste, it is citrusy, smooth, and balanced body with a little bitterness on the back end. I would add another .5lbs of flaked oats for an even smoother feel and step up the IBU by about 10 units. I would replace the Columbus with Centennial for a slight more citrus kick as well. The aroma was on point! Very, very floral and citrusy. All in all, it was a very good beer! Lots of great reviews.

View attachment 1506559456949.jpg

I can say from experience (we live about a block away from each other) that this beer came out extremely well!

Back