Hello from North Dakota

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ismellweird

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the site. I'm Mel from North Dakota. My grandfather in Illinois was planning a brewery and purchased all equipment but passed away and I've been given his stuff. I don't even know what most of it is but several large tanks i assume for bubbling the beer and sump pumps and computer equipment. I admit i'm over my head and where I live they don't do much brewing but I plan to use it. Growing up people would always ask "Is Mell weird?" and the answer is no, but my brewery someday will be Is Mell Weird brewing, I'm already working on some paperwork. Anyway nice to meet you all and I will probably ask a lot of questions and things. I don't know much about making a beer, i was always more into hunting but have drank a fair amount of the cheapest beer in my time. Maybe to much and that's why they call me weird? Ha! See you around.

Hello and welcome! My dad was born and raised in Killdeer; I went to college in Jamestown, where I met my wife.

Make yourself at home and enjoy the discussions; the best advice I can give is: have fun with it and don't make it harder than it is. People have been brewing beer for a very, very long time. :mug:

Welcome, I have some family not far from your neck of the woods. They are Minnesotans tho... LOL

There is a wealth of knowledge here so join in the fun and Brew On...

Welcome to the forum! If you have questions on the equipment you've inherited, I'm sure you can post some pictures and the great members here can give you some direction on what it is and used for. Happy brewing!

Welcome to the forum, Mel. I say embrace your weirdness. People here are often knowledgeable, and at times have varied opinions, but once you do some reading you'll be going in the right direction. Finding a brew buddy, joining AHA and a local brew club will help too.

Hi Mell, from nearby Minnesota!

When I first saw your username, I thought it was "I smell weird." :) But "is Mell weird" works, and maybe you meant the double entendre. I say revel in your weirdness. The world needs more independent thinkers.

You now have the task of making sense of the gear you inherited, and how to use it. We can help you along the way. Ask lots of questions. If you haven't already, start out by reading about the brewing process. How To Brew, by John Palmer is a good place to start.

Hi Mell, from nearby Minnesota!

When I first saw your username, I thought it was "I smell weird." :) But "is Mell weird" works, and maybe you meant the double entendre. I say revel in your weirdness. The world needs more independent thinkers.

You now have the task of making sense of the gear you inherited, and how to use it. We can help you along the way. Ask lots of questions. If you haven't already, start out by reading about the brewing process. How To Brew, by John Palmer is a good place to start.

Oh crap, I never noticed that. Dammit. That's horrible. It does look like i smell weird and that's what i was going to call the brewery and have already worked on some things related. People won't buy beer if the brewer smells weird. Hiopefully overthinking it and nobody noticed but you.

Welcome to the forum! If you have questions on the equipment you've inherited, I'm sure you can post some pictures and the great members here can give you some direction on what it is and used for. Happy brewing!

Thanks! Looking forward to trying some of this out. A buddy of mine is going to help me get some of it hooked up today and we might try to make a batch of something, maybe with my cupcakes. There's a big thing here not too big, maybe 20 gallons for a fermenter and I have a pot he says we can do the boil in. Lots of other toys, should be fun just to see what happens even if I don't know much yet, he says he knows enough to get it going today. Then I move on to hooking up the giant fermenters and pumps and everythign else that's still shrinkwrapped here.

Oh crap, I never noticed that. Dammit. That's horrible. It does look like i smell weird and that's what i was going to call the brewery and have already worked on some things related. People won't buy beer if the brewer smells weird. Hiopefully overthinking it and nobody noticed but you.

Why not just call your brewery Weird Mell Brewing? Some have made a career out of embracing their weirdness.

images

Thanks! Looking forward to trying some of this out. A buddy of mine is going to help me get some of it hooked up today and we might try to make a batch of something, maybe with my cupcakes. There's a big thing here not too big, maybe 20 gallons for a fermenter and I have a pot he says we can do the boil in. Lots of other toys, should be fun just to see what happens even if I don't know much yet, he says he knows enough to get it going today. Then I move on to hooking up the giant fermenters and pumps and everythign else that's still shrinkwrapped here.

you need to post some pics of what you got going on here!!

you need to post some pics of what you got going on here!!

Will try to snap some pix, my buddy he's just about done he hooked some things up. He rigged something up to the water suopply and a pump and stuff. It's a temporary thing but should get us a brewing session underway in a bit. I have 5 lb cupcakes, grain, hops, yeast.

Hi sorry, wanted to update you but not much time since we have a real problem here. Pedro turned on the sump pump and something went backwards. We think we somehow pumped sewage back from the septic into the brew kettle. I can't even begin to say what i'm seeing here. needless to say all ruined and a long night ahead. Lots of waste. I mean the grains and cupcakes, yeast, etc are wasted, but also the waste. What a mess just a bad mess.

Latest posts

Back