Hello from North Central Iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveDodds

Reaction score
I have been homebrewing since 2005. I have had a long hiatus of about 2 years and recently decided to get back into it. I grow my own tobacco and make my own chew so I decided I might as well go back to making my own booze too. After reading through many posts on here over the last week I have started a batch of hard cider. It is my first. As I type this it is just a bubbling away. Thinking I might try to do that fractional freezing/distilling thing. But maybe not. Anyhow there seems to be a rather large concentration of very experienced brewers on here so I decided to join up.

Merry brewing to all and to all a good night.

Hey SteveDodds!
I am new as well.... but Welcome. I would like to hear more on your adventures in tobacco growing! I am looking into distillation as well. I have been brewing for a while but if I could distill my own Vodka and grow my own tobacco I wouldn't need the rest of society (lol)! Total off grid potential in that!!!!

This year my tobacco growing hasn't been very good. The weather has not been nice and I have been attacked by bugs pretty bad. Last year I had an awesome crop. I ended up with over 20 pounds of chew. This year I will end up with about 10 pounds. Growing tobacco is quite simple. If you can grow tomatoes where you are at then you can grow tobacco.

Hi Steve! Welcome to forum!

As a side note, any talk of distillation is not allowed on HBT.

Eisbock is generally fine, although there usually is a little bit of a debate between us and the government. But as I recall, the TTB issued a letter stating it was fine for homebrewers; known as freeze concentrating.

When people start talking about distilled spirits is when threads get locked.

Back