Hello from Kansas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjfarwell

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I consider myself a newb yet. I've done approximately 5 extract kits and I think 4 partial mash kits now. I received a nice starter kit from Norther Brewer from my family as a birthday present.

I'm doing BIAB for the partial mash due to some space issues and cost issues. I currently use a 8 gal. brew pot that I drilled a hole in the lid for the thermometer and no ball valve.

I've been considering upgrading to a 15 gal. pot with therm and BV to have some more head room for the hopeful all-grain switch. I think the 8 will be pretty tight but I'm not sure...that is what I'm researching next.

Questions to find answers to on this site:
1. best boil kettle size for all grain 5 gal (10 gal potential) full boils
2. is a stir plate worth the money
3. how to properly plan bulk buys to save money (and how long ingredients last)
4. how to wash yeast

Well those are for starters anyways lol

Other than that...I have a wife and 3 kids that I try to work around to find some brewing time....I'm an avid Jayhawk fan...and I'm trying to recruit friend to brew b/c I think it would be a heck of a lot more fun to have a few guys to hang out with while brewing!

I like my kettles to be well oversized, for huge grain bills so I have a 15G MT and am getting a 20g BK for Christmas.

A stirplate is a great investment, if you grow your own yeast and re-use yeast it pays for itself quickly. Stirstarters makes a great unit.

Grain uncrushed lasts a long time, but unless you brew alot, a grain mill isn't cheap.

Here's a great article on washing yeast, this is a big $ saver. http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-yeast-harvest.cfm

Latest posts

Back