hello from Iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthias

Reaction score
I have been lurking on the boards now for a couple weeks and decided it was time to finally introduce myself.

I have just started brewing beer in the last month or so, I started out a couple years back by doing a 1 gallon batch of mead, I have since done a few more batches but the wait time on those is just so long that I decided to start brewing beer to drink while waiting. What I had not realized about brewing is that it is perfectly suited for those who like to design and tinker with things, so it has already gotten a strong hold of my interests.

My brewing experience at this point:
5 gallon nut brown ale extract kit with steeping grains, bottled on Saturday night and sitting in my new fermentation chamber(more below)

5 gallon Belgian Blonde extract kit with steeping grains and spices, currently in secondary, will he moved to term chamber tonight.

Prototype fermentation chamber:
STC-1000 controller
Large chest freezer left in my house when I moved in
Heater designed using a computer PSU, three computer fans, two headlight bulbs, some wood, and a couple soda cans.

The idea behind the heater was to make something that could circulate the air to keep it consistant and a heat source all while having one power source to plug into the receptacle attached to the STC. So everything is running off 12vdc on the heating side. I also used the 5v supply line to add in a couple Christmas lights which are outside the freezer to let me know its running.

So far, I am loving the hobby, the only problem is the ammount of time it takes to get the water to boil. I have acquired a turkey fryer base in the hopes of reducing that time. Now I just need to get a LP tank for it so that maybe my next batch will go faster!

I am sure I will have lots of questions, but for now, glad I found this place and hopefully I can make some connections that I can exchange samples with for critiquing, because all my friend's drink horrible beer so I can't trust their judgement!

Lol, well I could have gone gophers since I was in Minneapolis for the last 8 year's.

The 515!! if you are close to Clive you should stop be, pretty good beer.

Back