Hello from FL!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

refect

Reaction score
hello everyone! my name is brad, and i am from florida. i have always loved drinking beer, and about 2 years ago started getting into drinking craft beers. i just recently took a class at my college (UCF) called "Seminar in Quality Brewing and Fine Beer." now i wouldn't consider myself anywhere near a pro after taking the class, but i really learned a whole lot about beer and expanded my knowledge of it. we learned everything from the history and different styles, to doing daily samples to learn the language and how to determine what you are drinking and smelling in the different styles of beer. there was an extra credit assignment to stay after and brew your own beer of choice. the teacher would help you along the way and supply everything. so all we had to do is stay after class to work on our brew (which we were able to take home once it was bottled and ready to drink!). awesome class! anyways, the class really opened my eyes to the world of homebrewing. i enjoyed it so much in class that i went and got a beginners kit. i just recently brewed my first (well technically second) batch, a brown ale. it was an extract kit, but i look forward to expanding my equipment to be able to do things more efficient and easier, and also to be able to do partial mash brews. i would love to eventually do all grain, but i currently do not have the space, time, or money to do that. so for now i plan to stick to extract and partial mash brewing :)

Welcome aboard. Sounds like a cool class they've got there at UCF. I'm not sure how the homebrew stores are over there in Orlando... I know it's a bit of a drive, but if you decide to go all-grain, Southern Homebrew over here in Tampa has the best grain selection I've ever seen.

Good grief man! I went to UNF and I can assure you they did not have any classes like that. I would have been in that one in a heartbeat. Read up on HB talk and watch your process and you can make some really good extract beers. I haven't done one in awhile but right before I went AG, my extract brews were really good IMO.

Good Luck
Alan

cool thanks guys! i hope to expand my knowledge even further, and possibly put together a few recipes of my own once i get comfortable brewing and knowing what different ingrediants have to offer towards the beer.

Had no idea UCF had a class like that. Might be worth driving to ORL to take that! Because I doubt the satalite campus has it!!

Had no idea UCF had a class like that. Might be worth driving to ORL to take that! Because I doubt the satalite campus has it!!

yeah it is an awesome class! had some great guest speakers from the brewing business, and we would usually do a range of 4-7 samples a class. plus beer and food pairing towards the end of the semester. the course number is HFT4864 and it is over at the ucf rosen hospitality campus.

Back