Hello from Finland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HemanBrew

Reaction score
Hi to all.
Greetings from cold and dark Finnish winter.

I got a father's day present from my wife: a book about homebrewing. (she's the best).
It told about how easy it is to make good bear by steeping and extracts. This was one month ago. Since then I have read 7 books about homebrew and listened 40 podcast from beersmith program. And of course watched some YouTube videos.
I think I can say that I know the basics now, but that's just a start and when I get answer to one question then 10 new ones arise :)

My first batch is fermenting now (2. Day today).
It's a steeping+extract wheat-bear with Saaz and lemon (the skin of the fruit).
My batch size is small. 4-5 litres (about 1 gallon).
So it's a kitchen-brew basicly.

I'm wery exited about my new hobby and I'm already thinking about all-grain brew with biab system.
But maybe few extract+steep batches first.

Heman

IMG_20191214_233434.jpeg

Welcome to HBT!
Good to hear you studied thoroughly before brewing your first batch, then asking 100 questions...You're way ahead of the curve!
Looks like you're fermenting beer, got a healthy looking krausen there! :mug:

You may have missed this somewhere, but you should cover that jug with a towel or cloth. Light (especially UV light) can skunk beer, the hop oils it contains actually.

Controlling ferm temps is probably the most important parameter to brewing better beer. Keeping the beer in an area that's within the lower temp range for the yeast strain you're using is usually recommended, typically 17-20°C for common ale yeasts. Then there are exceptions to everything. ;)

Welcome to HBT!
Good to hear you studied thoroughly before brewing your first batch, then asking 100 questions...You're way ahead of the curve!
Looks like you're fermenting beer, got a healthy looking krausen there! :mug:

You may have missed this somewhere, but you should cover that jug with a towel or cloth. Light (especially UV light) can skunk beer, the hop oils it contains actually.

Controlling ferm temps is probably the most important parameter to brewing better beer. Keeping the beer in an area that's within the lower temp range for the yeast strain you're using is usually recommended, typically 17-20°C for common ale yeasts. Then there are exceptions to everything. ;)
Thanks.
It's fermenting in dark closet. This is just picture before :)

Closet temperature is about 21-22 Celsius and this is a wheat-beer, so I guess it's OK.

Closet temperature is about 21-22 Celsius and this is a wheat-beer, so I guess it's OK.
For some yeasts, yes. Fermentation creates heat, so the jug content may well be a degree or 2 higher. Especially with larger volumes, say 10+ liters, heat dissipation becomes more important, and some form of active chilling is necessary. Like a swamp cooler or ferm fridge. Just placing the jug in a tub with cool water can drop the temp 2-4 degrees. It'll be fine the way this goes.

Latest posts

Back