Hello from Eastern Washington

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlaineC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good day all my name is Charlaine, I'm medically retired U.S. Army in my early 40's and disabled. I'm a long time extract brewer and have only been back into brewing since Feb 2017 after about a 10 year break due to personal and health issues. I only returned to brewing after being given a brand New to me and never opened Liberty Malt Supply Co brewing kit. Little did I know at the time that they have been long time out of business, Thankfully I researched the company before making the included kit. After learning how old the kit was I went about replacing most of the ingredients with fresh hops, dry malt extract, yeast and a few other things. Tossing the old ingredients. The only good thing in the kit was the extract as it was still sealed. The beer wasn't came out okay but I learned a few things along the way about how I need to fix my set up in the kitchen. Since then I have gone back to making my own extract recipes as a way of helping to draw my focus away from my PTSD. Currently I have a Dunkin Donuts Porter and a Dunkin Stout fermenting. Brewing is just one one of my many hobbies, my others include fly fishing, cooking, baking, Kite flying, reading, video games, building things in my shop, teaching and more. I hate to be stationary

Thank you for the warm welcome. My health is always a battle currently but in time i'm hoping to put it behind me to A point.

Welcome, Im in western Wa. But have family in the tri cities area. Hope your reincarnated brewing is enjoyable for you.

Welcome to the HBT forum. I live in NY but my mother's family is from Spokane area and she lives way up in the North East corner. Love fishing in Eastern Washington but I am not much good with flys.

Glad you stuck with it after that first kit. My understanding is that liquid malt extract is actually a shorter shelf life product than dry malt extract. That can was undoubtably way past expiration and you will likely be much happier with future batches from all fresh ingredients.

Back