Hello from Afghanistan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccabman

Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forum. I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan. I have not brewed a day in my life but I will when I get home. My buddy back in Germany got me a book on home brewing. I have probably read through the whole thing twice so far. I have also purchased all the necessary equipment to get started. Every time I have had a question I would do a search and find that the answer was on this forum. I look forward to being a part of this community and learning as much as I can from you guys.

Cheers

First off, Thank you very much for your service.
We all owe so much to you and the people like you.

Then, Welcome!
You have quite a bit of time to think about what you want to do first. Is Germany where you will be when your tour is over?

Yes I am currently living in Germany. I'm going to start off with extract brewing. I want to see what is available locally in Germany before I order a lot of big expensive equipment.

I personally think everyone should start with extract, especially if they don't have an experienced brewer helping them.
As long as you get a big enough brew pot, all the equipment you buy can be used when you move up and all the skills are transferable.

It's best to start making good beer right off and worry about more complicated methods later.

I'm also in Afghan land, i have purchased almost everything to go full electric. Too much down time it let's me surf and buy stuff.

When i get home it will be like Christmas followed by a building frenzy.

Thanks for the link. I too have too much time to surf the web and buy stuff. I can't wait to get home and start brewing. I'm also very interested in mead.

Welcome,

I was stationed in Germany as well until last year. I did find that it was actually easier to get ingredients shipped in either from people at home or rebelbrewer. Rebel worked with me when all the other big sites wouldnt. Im also in Afghanistan right now and going to go full electric when I get back to Riley.

Back