Hello from a Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWK

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and beer making. Had some success making wine now attempting beer. Looking for a nice extract kit and the amber ale recipes I've found sound fairly simple. Anyone have a thought about that? I've never met a beer I didn't like however my wife is a bit more choosy. The amber ales sound smooth, moderately hoppy something we both might enjoy. Appreciate any comments!

Welcome to HBT and to the hobby.

Interesting you mention an Amber Ale. I recall my first kit, the boxed kit with malt extract, hops and yeast, was an Amber ale. It was good.

What does your wife like, of course, in a beer? For example. She loves German beers. She hates stouts (just an example).

Moderately hoppy? An Irish Red or a Pale Ale.

Thanks for the response! I hope the amber ale is a good kit sure sounded like a good way to start. As for my wife she’s not fussy but likes lighter pilsners and moderate hoppyness. Alaskan white, Fat Tire, a local brew Mango Blond, Colors Light if it’s very cold.
I prefer something with a bit more character and an amber seems like a safe start.

Welcome to the community and obsession from CT.

Ambers are good beers to go with. Simple grain bills and you can make the hop schedule as complex as you like. Personally, I keep mine in the 40-50 range but with a kit you'll be pretty set. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum/obsession, from Nebraska!

You can't go wrong with an Amber. Ever. I'm just about to get my Caramel Amber brewed up so it's in it's prime as soon as the weather changes. Cheers!

Ambers are good beers to go with. Simple grain bills and you can make the hop schedule as complex as you like. Personally, I keep mine in the 40-50 range but with a kit you'll be pretty set. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice I'll keep that in mind!

Welcome to the forum/obsession, from Nebraska!

You can't go wrong with an Amber. Ever. I'm just about to get my Caramel Amber brewed up so it's in it's prime as soon as the weather changes. Cheers!
I love the sound of " Caramel Amber "!!! I hope its great!!!

I'll have to read-up on adjusting the hop schedule for future brews, I don't know the terminology or what 40-50 range means.

Back