Hello all, from Canada.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikEH86

Reaction score
Good day all.

I was introduced to home brewing threw my grandparents, who passed away 2 years ago when it first happened i was determined to keep something they did alive i chose to try home brewing as yeast and fermentation fascinate me. I started very basic juice and bread yeast and the flavor blew me away and the ease of it. since then i have been slowly scaling things up i have done a few kit wines (to keep the wife happy ;) ) I would like to try some beer brewing now, I have acquired basic equipment through Facebook posts garage sales and other online adds

cheers all.

Last edited:
Hey from British Columbia!
I find it a pretty novel concept to have grandparents who home brewed. Mine would be the opposite... probably mortified actually not only that I drink beer but brew it in substantial quantities. I hope you enjoy the hobby; I started out almost 5 years ago and still very much enjoy learning and honing my process

lol, and in spirit remember, i'll be there with both of you with a 1 liter, or two or 3, repurposed coke bottles drinking my cheap beer!

Welcome!
I have considered this but thought the pop would leave a bad taste in the beer, is it noticeable? Also how do you store them as I would think they are in clear bottles? I'm on a fairly tight budget most my wine bottles have come from the recycling depot as I live in a small town and can raid it when ever.

Could you share your cheap beer recipe?

Could you share your cheap beer recipe?

well the first thing you need to do is work on process...that way you can save on how much malt you use...i use year old hops...gluco-amylase will bump your ABV without needing more malt....

then you can learn how to malt your own! lol, then you'll be cool like me, all the other homebrewers will be jealous, and you'll be brewing a ~92 cent twelve pack of 8% malt liquor! ;)

well the first thing you need to do is work on process...that way you can save on how much malt you use...i use year old hops...gluco-amylase will bump your ABV without needing more malt....

then you can learn how to malt your own! lol, then you'll be cool like me, all the other homebrewers will be jealous, and you'll be brewing a ~92 cent twelve pack of 8% malt liquor! ;)
Ahh got a few years before I start working on that kinda stuff hehe.

I work at a feed mill we have 100's of metric ton of corn, barely, and wheat I wish I could tap into some of that so bad some times.they won't notice 50lbs missing here and there lol. Where do you source your grain/malt just online? We had a really crappy fall for harvest and a lot of local grain is coming in at 17% moisture. I have read some where grain starts malting at that %?

Ahh got a few years before I start working on that kinda stuff hehe.

I work at a feed mill we have 100's of metric ton of corn, barely, and wheat I wish I could tap into some of that so bad some times.they won't notice 50lbs missing here and there lol. Where do you source your grain/malt just online? We had a really crappy fall for harvest and a lot of local grain is coming in at 17% moisture. I have read some where grain starts malting at that %?

damn, working at a feed mill pay them for the barley! if they wouldn't miss 50lb's i pay 12.99 USD for that much.....23lb's gets me 20lb's malt enough for a 10 gallon batch...and with the corn and wheat, could try your hand at a miller clone, or wit beer......i just use my extra vanity bathtub to sprout it, then dry it on sweater drying racks with a box fan.....then kiln in the oven.....

(sorry, it's late and all though i remembered the periods, i forgot to use commas, lol)

edit: e=mc2 you're in the perfect position to approach free...

damn, working at a feed mill pay them for the barley! if they wouldn't miss 50lb's i pay 12.99 USD for that much.....23lb's gets me 20lb's malt enough for a 10 gallon batch...and with the corn and wheat, could try your hand at a miller clone, or wit beer......i just use my extra vanity bathtub to sprout it, then dry it on sweater drying racks with a box fan.....then kiln in the oven.....

(sorry, it's late and all though i remembered the periods, i forgot to use commas, lol)

edit: e=mc2 you're in the perfect position to approach free...

Other then samples it's pretty hard to get it's our least used grain ( barley) and once it's off the truck there are no leaks till it hits the hammer mill then it's ground down to about 300 microns ( almost flour ) which I would assume is to fine. Lol

Could talk to the boss I suppose lol. But that's not for a while yet. Though the malting grain does sound fun to try.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back