Heinekin dark recipie ( not dark lager)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
In 1977 my favorite beer was Heinekin Dark. Not Heinekin Dark Lager, Heinekin Dark. I have been unable to find it on the shelves, and I suspect it is no longer brewed. Does anylone have contacts with Heinekin that could assist me in determining the grain bill and/or hops? It's been a long time. This was the only beer I remember drinking that I preferred british style, at room temperature.

Here's an old advertising I found
http://www.fedi1coins.com/SEP 1980/images/img_0025.jpg

Heineken Special Dark? They still make it as far as I know, although I haven't looked for it in years. Here's a site where you type in your zip code and they tell you where to find it: http://www.beermenus.com/beers/heineken-dark

You can probably google a clone recipe to get an idea, if you spell Heineken right. :D I have never tried that beer so I don't really know what sort of flavor or grains to use, but I'm sure that others have.

Thanks for the link. Nearest location is 127 miles away. Glad its still brewed. Perhaps I hear a road trip in my future.

Yes, I looked in the recipie database, didn't see it although I could have missed.

Ask your local store to order it. If it is available in MD then all stores have equal access.

I do remember it as much better as a dark.

They lie they lie they lie!!! I went to a local liquor store I rarely frequent, just to see what they had on the shelf. A friendly employee asked if I was looking for anything in particular and on a whim I said " Heineken Dark" I was shocked when the reply i got was "sure, its right over there". Up on the top shelf was 3 cases labeled "Heineken Dark" bought a case on the spot, skipped home all happy at finding my high school tipple. Got it home and looked more closely. The front of the case said "Heineken Dark" then in smaller type, "Premium Lager beer" Poop. Opened the case, the front of the bottle said " Heineken Dark, and on the back it said Heineken Dark Lager. There's a kick in the nads for ya. Opened each bottle in protest and poured it down the sink.

Just kidding I'm still gonna drinking it.

Had me going there thought you dumped it.

Have the store look up what is available in the beverage journal.

So not a Hiene fan myself but would buy the dark if I came across it (either one). Just to try.. I was in Aruba a way back and the are Dutch there is a brewery there Balashi which I was told is a clone of the mother land Heinekin. This was very enjoyable brew. Bought the tee shirt..

This was the first dark beer i tried, right about the same time frame (late '70s). Liked it much more than the "regular" Heineken. Not skunky, smooth, more flavor. I'm interested in finding a similar recipe.

Are you sure the heineken you used to enjoy was ale? Perhaps they just neglected to mention 'lager' on the bottle back when.

My pallet has developed in the intervening 30 years, but I'm petty sure it was a similar to a stout. The dark lager is more like a dunkleweisen in taste and color. My recollection from the day was the front said "Special Dark". See the vintage advertisement link in my first post.

It's a lager- Heineken only makes lagers.

Description (from Heineken):

HEINEKEN SPECIAL DARK
ABV: 5.1%
Heineken USA

Known as the dark beer that isn’t, Heineken Special Dark has a smooth refreshing taste that’s light enough to enjoy anytime. The flavor is robust with a hint of roasting and classic Heineken taste. This brew is underestimated with it’s delicious coffee notes and subtle sweetness. Shellfish, chocolate, smoked salmon, corned beef and hearty stews taste even better when paired with this brew.

It could be the same beer as the "dark lager", under a different name as Heineken has done that in the past.

You might be right. I re-looked at the "vintage" ad and saw that the color was a lot lighter than I recollect. Oh well, at least I have another case of bottles to fill with the good stuff!!! Its not bad, its just not what I remember.

Sitting right next to the Heineken dark was Lowenbrau dark. This was my Favorite dark back around 79. There was not a whole lot of dark beer to choose from then.

Back