Hefeweizen yeast recommendation for dampfbier--something with light phenolic flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel_88

Reaction score
I worked up a dampfbier recipe because I enjoy this one. Used WLP351, Bavarian Hefeweizen yeast, and it came out way phenolic (fermented at 65 degrees).

Traditionally, dampfbier is barley ale brewed with wheat beer yeast, and phenolic is a characteristic flavor. I just want to tone it down a couple of notches. What is a good true-to-style Hefe yeast which is lighter on the phenols?

I used WLP300. I pitched about 75% what I would for a normal ale. I started my fermentation at 54F and let it rise to 64F over 5 days. It wasn't too phenolic or too estery. Nice and balanced.

Traditionally, dampfbier is barley ale brewed with wheat beer yeast, and phenolic is a characteristic flavor.
No it isn't I've been to the brewery in the Bayerischer Wald where it's brewed and specifically asked the brewer about the yeast he used. It is not a wheat beer yeast, but a neutral top-fermenting strain. The beer itself tastes like a lightly-hopped Alt.

My guess is that at some point a brewer tried to explain to a layman what the beer was and mentioned wheat beer because it was the only top-fermenting beer the layman knew of.

Though, of course, you can have a Weissbier that is brewed from 100% barley. There were plenty of those in the past, for example Broyhan which sometimes contained wheat, but not always. Weissber originally meant anything brewed from air-dried malt.

Back