Hefeweizen starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanethebarber

Reaction score
Hi all. I just completed my first stir plate build Fri. I am brewing the NB Bavarian Hefeweizen kit today (Sunday). I made my starter Fri evening and when I awoke on Sat morning I found foam had spewed out of the top. It had stopped so I kept it going. BTW this is a 1500 ml White Labs Hefe in a 2L flask. After about 20hrs I chilled it in the fridge for separation, decanted and added 800 ml of wort Sat evening, again this morning with over flow this time with about 5-8 tbls of thick beautiful yeast was on the counter. Is all hope lost, or does the amount still in the flask trump the the loss? Thank you in advance! Cheers!

Try out is yeast calculator. Estimate 2 billion cells per milliliter if the yeast is well compacted. Use 1 billion yeast cells per ml is the yeast in your flask is loose.
Large krausens with a stir plate are unusual for me. Was your stir bar thrown or turning to slow to hold a whirlpool?

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

No it wasn't thrown. It might be moving to slow I don't get a vortex after about 18hrs. I think it might be that yeast. I made a starter last year with the same strain and it did the same thing, but as you stated not having that happen with a stir plate I thought it would be different.

You'll be fine. That is a vigorous strain. My starters of that strain always blow out even while stirred AND containing anti-foam. Despite the blowout, the bulk of your yeast is still in the flask.

Latest posts

Back