Hefeweizen Recipe Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWM777

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've got about 8 extract kits under my belt now, so I decided to wing it and try my own recipe, based on input and inspiration from other kits. Hefe's are inherently simple, so there's not a whole lot "original" about this recipe, but it's my first "scratch" attempt. I've decided to add banana to the boil to accentuate 3068's natural banana notes. Here's the list:

6# Bavarian Wheat DME
1# Pilsen DME
1# Flaked Oats (Steeps @ 150° for 30-45 minutes
2oz Tettnang (60-minute boil)
1 banana chopped (10 minutes before flameout)
WYeast 3068 pitched @ 67°

The plan is to add all DME at 10 minutes to flameout, to avoid caramelization and darkening.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not sure if the banana is necessary, the WYeast 3068 should impart that banana-ie ester to your Hefe, shouldn't it? I just brewed one about a week ago, and used WB-06 yeast, and all i can smell is bananas when I walk by it. :D Other than that, it looks like a very decent Hefe.

I used WLP300 for my hef and like 3068, it should give some banana flavor, more at higher ferm temp. I have not tasted it yet though, it's still bubbling away in the fermenter. That's a lot of extract for a 5 gal batch, probably going to be higher ABV than the style usually has. I used 8# of wheat LME, no steeping grains, some bittering and some aroma hops. I was kind of winging it!

Hey guys! I've got about 8 extract kits under my belt now, so I decided to wing it and try my own recipe, based on input and inspiration from other kits. Hefe's are inherently simple, so there's not a whole lot "original" about this recipe, but it's my first "scratch" attempt. I've decided to add banana to the boil to accentuate 3068's natural banana notes. Here's the list:

6# Bavarian Wheat DME
1# Pilsen DME
1# Flaked Oats (Steeps @ 150° for 30-45 minutes
2oz Tettnang (60-minute boil)
1 banana chopped (10 minutes before flameout)
WYeast 3068 pitched @ 67°

The plan is to add all DME at 10 minutes to flameout, to avoid caramelization and darkening.

Thoughts? Thanks!

It would help to know what batch size this is for since that will determine the balance for everything. I'm guessing its 5/6 gal? The numbers below are assuming its 6gal, if its 5 your further out of balance.

If this is for a true to style Hefe then 2oz tettnang is way too much. That would put you at 29.9 IBU, basically double the IBU for the highest end of the style. 3/4oz @ 60min would put you about in the middle for the style. I like to stay in the mid to low end of the range to let the wheat and yeast shine but that's me.
The flaked oats are also a bit out of place here. Not that you can't use them but personally I'd use flaked wheat instead. Same goes for the bananas, if done right you should get plenty from the yeast but that's your call.
The guy I work with has a Braumeister so we have to use extracts and we've always added them at the beginning of the boil. Including for the Hefeweizen we just kegged earlier in the week. We've been sampling it since we brewed it and if there's any caramelization you can't taste it over the yeast and the color is spot on. Happy brewing!

We don't have a town drunk we all take turns!

I used WLP300 for my hef and like 3068, it should give some banana flavor, more at higher ferm temp. I have not tasted it yet though, it's still bubbling away in the fermenter. That's a lot of extract for a 5 gal batch, probably going to be higher ABV than the style usually has. I used 8# of wheat LME, no steeping grains, some bittering and some aroma hops. I was kind of winging it!

I've used WL300 before, and it's my opinion that the 3068 imparts a more "authentic" Bavarian Hefe flavor. That being said, I do like the 300 and the Hefe flavor profile it creates. You're right - it's a lot of extract for a Hefe, so my ABV will be slightly higher. I'm guessing around 6% or so. I ended up nixing the banana in the boil - I was too afraid of the unpredictability of the fruit sugars in fermentation, and that it might impart the dark brown colors a banana exposed to air creates.

It would help to know what batch size this is for since that will determine the balance for everything. I'm guessing its 5/6 gal? The numbers below are assuming its 6gal, if its 5 your further out of balance.

If this is for a true to style Hefe then 2oz tettnang is way too much. That would put you at 28 IBU, almost double the IBU for the style. 3/4oz @ 60min would put you about in the middle for the style. I like to stay in the mid to low end of the range to let the wheat and yeast shine but that's me.
The flaked oats are also a bit out of place here. Not that you can't use them but personally I'd use flaked wheat instead. Same goes for the bananas, if done right you should get plenty from the yeast but that's your call.
The guy I work with has a Braumeister so we have to use extracts and we've always added them at the beginning of the boil. Including for the Hefeweizen we just kegged earlier in the week. We've been sampling it since we brewed it and if there's any caramelization you can't taste it over the yeast and the color is spot on. Happy brewing!

I ended up pulling the tettnang back to 1oz, and nixed the banana. And you're correct - I meant flaked wheat, not oats. That's what I ended up using. Batch amount is about 5.25 gallons, so I should be ok. It'll be slightly higher in ABV, but hopefully not noticeable in flavor. Thanks for the reply!

I ended up pulling the tettnang back to 1oz, and nixed the banana. And you're correct - I meant flaked wheat, not oats. That's what I ended up using. Batch amount is about 5.25 gallons, so I should be ok. It'll be slightly higher in ABV, but hopefully not noticeable in flavor. Thanks for the reply!

That sounds strong but much better. Hope it turns out well for ya.

Back