hefeweizen recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason91notch

Reaction score
What do ya'll think?
5 gal batch

5lb American wheat
1.5lb 2-Row
1.5lb Pilsner
.5lb crystal 10

1oz hallertauer@ 60min
.5 cascade @ 15 min
.5oz ground coriander@ 30min

WLP300 yeast

Looking for something that has a pronounced clove/banana flavor. Should I ditch the coriander? Should I add orange peel?

I would lose the coriander.
I like teh 1/2 lb crystal in there, but most will say to ditch it.
I don't like the 15 minute hop addition in hef
Ferment in the low to mid 70s for that banana aroma.

Definitely lose the cascade at 15. Weizens aren't supposed to have really any hop aroma or flavor, especially from American hops. They should have noble hops only. The latest addition I would do would be a 30 minute.

Also, why not go with 3 lbs pilsner and drop the American 2-row? It would be simpler and more to style. Also, I agree with Halbrust about the crystal. Not technically to style, but I'm sure it will be good.

Definitely lose the coriander too. You should get enough flavor from the yeast.

Also, I was just listening the Jamil show when he did Bavarian Weizens and he suggested fermenting at 62F. He said he was fermenting warmer to increase esters and his beer was just ok, but he got some advice to ferment at 62 and it vastly improved the flavor.

Also, I was just listening the Jamil show when he did Bavarian Weizens and he suggested fermenting at 62F. He said he was fermenting warmer to increase esters and his beer was just ok, but he got some advice to ferment at 62 and it vastly improved the flavor.

I agree with this too. I've found that the hefe's I ferment cooler tasted better....alot better. I shoot for 64 for a good balance.

Definitely lose the cascade at 15. Weizens aren't supposed to have really any hop aroma or flavor, especially from American hops. They should have noble hops only. The latest addition I would do would be a 30 minute.

Also, why not go with 3 lbs pilsner and drop the American 2-row? It would be simpler and more to style. Also, I agree with Halbrust about the crystal. Not technically to style, but I'm sure it will be good.

Definitely lose the coriander too. You should get enough flavor from the yeast.

Yeah I was on the fence about the cascade as well... I think im gonna take them out. I decided to go with 1.5lbs of 2-row and pilsner after looking around at other recipes. Some people use Pilsner, some use 2-row, but Ive yet to find a recipe where both were used so I thought it would be interesting to try them both.

Also, will fermenting at lower temps still get the banana esters? Ive heard higher temps amplify the banana flavor...

Yeah I was on the fence about the cascade as well... I think im gonna take them out. I decided to go with 1.5lbs of 2-row and pilsner after looking around at other recipes. Some people use Pilsner, some use 2-row, but Ive yet to find a recipe where both were used so I thought it would be interesting to try them both.

Also, will fermenting at lower temps still get the banana esters? Ive heard higher temps amplify the banana flavor...

I've never had a issue getting banana esters with lower temps. FWIW I use WLP300 yeast.

Back