Hefeweizen priming and bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edecker

Reaction score
Good morning folks,

This past weekend I bottled a delicious looking Hefeweizen brew I made. I allowed it to ferment for 14 days (just received my hydrometer in the mail), and I'm pretty excited about the result. The only thing I'm questioning is whether or not I used the right amount of sugar.

I know hefeweizens are typically one of the more carbonated beers, but I lowered my CO2 to 3 volumes based upon Northern Brewer's calculator (roughly 3/4 of a cup of regular table sugar). I boiled the sugar in two cups of water to get an even distribution in my 5.25 gallon batch and I'm using fairly new bottles. I just want to get input on whether I should be worried about bottle bombs, given that I've heard most bottles are considered safe up to right around 3 volumes CO2.

Should I worry, or did I use an appropriate amount of sugar given my batch size and beer style? Thanks in advance!

I've done a number of batches up to 3.0 vol CO2 in "normal" 12oz bottles (roughly 195-205g per bottle) and they've been fine. Only time I;ve had bottle bombs is from bottle infections and most of those were actually lower carbed styles like stouts.

If youre really worried though, in the future use heavy bottles for hefes and Belgians. Most 11.2oz european bottles are noteably heavier than regular US bottles. Also some breweries, liek Stone and Deschutes, use a slightly heavier style bottle that I like to keep separate from my regulars

On my homebrew calculator, for 3 vol c02, with 5.25 gallons of beer bottled at 70 degrees, I get 5.77 oz of table sugar. I'm not sure how that converts to cups but that's the numbers I get.

Personally, I think 3 vols c02 is too high for me but I've never really gone above 2.3 vol. Dunkel's and the like can go up to 4.5 vol so I think you'll be ok as for a bottle bombs go. I just like my beer a little less carb'ed than most I guess.

Just to be clear, you did add priming sugar AFTER fermentation and just prior to bottling, correct?

Since online calculators vary slightly, I use the nomograph in "How To Brew" (Palmer) for calculating vol's CO2. According to it, if you were priming to 3.0 @ 68F, you'd have wanted to use a little less than 2/3 C. cane sugar for a 5 gal. batch. But since you have a 5.25 gal. batch and a hefe likes a higher vol CO2 (typically 3.3 - 4.5), at 3/4 C. you're probably going to be OK with your sugar.

I slightly over-primed my hefe, and aside from a real 'pop' when the cap comes off and tons of big foam on the pour (but no bottle gushing), no bottle bombs. The extra zing in the beer is a wonderful balance to the maltiness and is super refreshing.

as long as your beer was done fermenting before you bottled it, 3.0Vols will be fine. I Regularly do Saisons at 3.0+ and have never had an issue.

Happy to hear it- and yep, I primed and bottles after fermentation was complete.

Back