hefeweizen haziness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
For a long time I have this problem with hefe weizens - they get perfectly clear after bottling.

I don't get it really, they should be cloudy even after the yeast settles down on the bottom of the bottle....

I use pilsner and at least 60% wheat malt.... what could be the problem and how do I make it hazy????

I've considered that normal and simply either carefully roused the yeast before pouring or used a large enough glass to pour it almost all out, then swirled the last bit before dumping it in with the rest in the glass. So I'll be interested too if someone has ideas on keeping it turbid in the bottle.

I've considered that normal and simply either carefully roused the yeast before pouring or used a large enough glass to pour it almost all out, then swirled the last bit before dumping it in with the rest in the glass. So I'll be interested too if someone has ideas on keeping it turbid in the bottle.

it's not about the yeast. this beer should be hazy from the proteins. yeast from the bottom of the bottle just make it a little bit more hazy....

in my case, hefeweizenes turn out crystal clear...

You caused me to go back and quickly consult Brewing With Wheat. It says the key to the protein portion of the haze is a protein rest at 50C/122F. The odd bit is that the larger the percentage of wheat beyond 20% (malted or not) the more clear, because the glutens form larger bits which drop out more easily.

Protein rest breaks larger protein chains down. Would be a worthy side by side experiment but a royal pain as it's completely separate batches instead of something which can be split like a dry hop or yeast trial.

it's not about the yeast. this beer should be hazy from the proteins. yeast from the bottom of the bottle just make it a little bit more hazy....

While that may be technically true I've had popular commercial hefe's, such as Franziskaner for example, pour out nearly crystal clear until I swirled and added the yeast in. My hefe's also pour out quite clear as well until I add the yeast in.

Rev.

Latest posts

Back