Hefeweizen Extract Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VaNewbieWRB

Reaction score
A couple months ago I purchased two cans of a Brew Demon Hefeweizen extract. I brewed the first, but had to order a can of 320g liquid brewing enhancer to complete as it was recommended. It turned out pretty good. Everyone who's had the beer loves it. I have another can of the Hefeweizen extract, but not the liquid enhancer. I'd like to try something different, and dont really want to have to order the enhancer. Its only $7, but they'd charge me $8 to ship it. My question is, what store bought sugars could I use to complete this kit? And what types of flavors would the different sugars impart? I've read about using brown sugar, regular sugar, honey and maple syrup. What amounts would be recommended for a 2 gallon batch? thanks for the help.

thanks for your reply. I'm under the impression, that the enhancer was included to up the ABV of the beer, other wise it will be too low. Maybe i'm wrong about that, but that was my impression. Also, i'd rather not skip it. I'd like to experiment and see what the results would be with some other type of sugar.

Per their site the describe it as liquid sugar made from maize starch and water, so corn sugar or table sugar would work. I'd probably assume it's about the strength of LME so the 11 oz can would be about the same as 1/2 lb of sugar. Of course you could use any sugar you want, honey might be nice in a wheat.

Slightly OT, but how are these guys getting away with calling a can of sugar water "liquid brewing enhancer"?

Also $7 for mostly water? Even at the expensive LHBS I can get a kilo of dextrose for $5.

OP, if you want stronger beer, I would suggest going to the grocery store and picking up a pound of "powdered wallet enhancer". Using dextrose, table sugar, honey etc. as 10% or less of your total fermentables will add some alcohol without significantly affecting flavour, other than making the finished beer slightly drier with a thinner body.

thanks for the replies..so no ones ever used maple syrup? or honey in a hefeweizen? or even brown sugar? wondering how those would affect the finished product...

All of the sugars you've mentioned are highly fermentable. As I said, at 10% or less of total fermentables you won't notice significant changes in the flavour of the finished beer. What you will get is more alcohol, and a drier, thinner beer.

At more than 10% you may get some changes in flavour, depending on what you use and when you add it. For example, adding honey at flameout or to the primary will add more honey flavour than adding it at the beginning of the boil (which will add almost no honey flavour). You could probably find a separate thread for each sugar that you've mentioned with people's own experiences. YMMV.

I'm not sure the molasses in the Brown sugar will turn out well for a hefe. Never done it, but I can't see that flavor blending well with the banana/clove phenolics. Plain ol' table sugar or corn sugar will be the most flavor neutral which should let the yeast flavors shine.

You've never had Bananas Foster? No clove, but bananas with rum & brown sugar is an excellent combo.

Now I want to make a Bananas Foster wheat beer...

:D

Back