Hefeweizen Extract Ingredient Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4you15

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning on brewing a Hefeweizen extract beer in the next couple day and after looking around online trying to find ingredient/recipes and had a few questions.

I decided I would try to do a recipe similar to Norther Brewer's Bavarian Hefeweizen because it got relatively good reviews from most sights I checked out.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/bavarian-hefe-weizen-extract-kit

Their recipe calls for:
6 lbs Wheat malt syrup split addition (60 and 15 min)
1 lbs Wheat dry malt extract late addition (15 min)
1 oz German Tettnang (60 min)
Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast.

I want to use my local shops ingredients, but they are slightly different.

They carry Muntons extract and have Wheat LME, However the wheat to barley mix is not as drastic as what NB sells. (55% Wheat / 45% Barley, compared to 65% Wheat / 35% Barley)

Also, the wheat DME from the NB Kit is 'Bavarian' wheat whereas Muntons only has 'Plain Wheat' at my shop and once again; the wheat to barley mix is much closer together.

Is this difference an issue with this type of beer, should I change up the recipe a bit, or just suck it up and order online?

One last question I had was concerning the yeast strain; my local shop has many different types of wheat strains and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or thought one might be better than the other.

They are:

Hefeweizen Ale Yeast WLP 300
Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast (what the recipe calls for)
Safbrew WB-06 Dry Wheat Beer Yeast

Any thoughts or opinions would be really helpful!

Cheers,
brew4you15

A good Hefeweizen is mostly in the yeast. Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast and Safbrew WB-06 Dry Wheat Beer Yeast may be the best choices of your homebrew shop.

Your local shops choices of malts may give you a less hazy Hefe with slightly less body. Fermentation temperature will provide the Hefe flavors, whether clove or banana.

I've made MANY Hefe's with Munton's DME and WB-06. I've also used Munich Wheat yeast. With your choices, you can go to your LHBS and get 2 3lb bags of Munton's wheat and either yeast ( I prefer WB-06 to Munich Wheat ), and use that. You don't need any extract for a later addition, as the 6 lbs DME will put you in the 1.048 range, which is great for a Hefe.

Simple recipe:

6 lbs Munton's Wheat DME
1 oz Hallertau hops
1 pack WB-06

Latest posts

Back