Heeelllllllpppp, keezer down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I noticed my Keezer on (the little green light at the bottom) most of the time. I thought maybe it was just running more often because it was summer. Then after getting an electric bill for more than $100 over my normal bill I realized this damn freezer was never turning off. Also never really got down to my set temp of 44 degrees. Always held around 47-48
So I defrosted it threw in some dry ice to let the compressor take a break.
Plugged it back in and pretty much the same thing.
Today it was at 50. The freezer kicks on but stays pretty quiet. I took in the capacitor it was good, replaced the relay with a new one.
Nothing, is there anything else I can do. I wouldn't mind buying a new freezer but it means doing all the work all over again as I will not find a freezer this size. Been checking craigslist with no luck.

Sounds like it's low on coolant and thus never getting the temp down to where it needs to be. Thus it runs all the time.

Losing coolant sounds like a leak. You might consult an appliance repair shop to see if it's worth trying to diagnose and fix. My guess is it's not.

And as far as more work to replace it with a different form factor, you might take a look at this thread where I show a somewhat different approach to building a keezer. Easy-peasy:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=632550

Back