Heating element touching the interior rims tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KramE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, so I've been through two elements now, and I'm curious, just how important is it for the heating element to not touch the interior wall of the rims tube?

When you say you have been through 2 elements... How long did they last? and were they ULWD elements?

Also what wattage and were you running the correct size PID and Relay?

Each time I revamp/refine my system, I buy a 5500w foldback heating element and try to bend it to fit in my rims tube.

I've been through 2 of the elements because I overbend and eventually physically break them.

I'm apparently just particularly challenged when it comes to element bending.

So I should be fine with a 5500w foldback element running @ 120v touching just a little bit of the tube?

Yes, the element exterior is grounded, the tube is also grounded, what's the issue?

I hope none, which is why I was asking.

Would anyone have a picture of a bent element?

I understand that it needs bent down, and then back up. And I would assume that the s bend has to be completed as close to the threads as possible and before the end of the fold back, otherwise the bend will force the end up into the wall.

I don't have anything that can clamp the element that is small enough to allow the bending in that space.

I hope none, which is why I was asking.

Would anyone have a picture of a bent element?

I understand that it needs bent down, and then back up. And I would assume that the s bend has to be completed as close to the threads as possible and before the end of the fold back, otherwise the bend will force the end up into the wall.

I don't have anything that can clamp the element that is small enough to allow the bending in that space.

How much space do you have between the bushing and the tip of the foldback?

http://youtu.be/Dx8antHVHeU

On the new stainless elements we got, we had the manufacturer bend the offset so that's already done. I do find that some additional tweaking is sometimes necessary to have the element not touch even a bit.

Bringing this one back from the dead since there has been some difficulty googling this.

For safety, check your RIMS tube with a continuity tester. Put the clip on one of the heating element contacts (doesn't matter which one just make sure it's a screw you'd put a live wire on) and then run the probe over the rims tube body. If it lights, you've got conductivity from your element to the rims tube body and that would be bad. Fix it.

Then put the clip on your ground wire and run the probe over your rims tube. If it lights up that means your tube and all parts you touch with the probe that light up are running to ground. You can over confirm this by touching the probe to one of the heating element contacts while still clamped to the ground wire and you will get no light.

Just wanted to throw this out there because the info seems sparse about elements touching the walls and RIMS tubes are inherently dangerous.

I'm not a qualified electrician, just sharing info.

There is no issue with the element exterior touching the RIMs tube. It is not electrically alive. You do know water/wort conducts electricity don't you? So even if they weren't touching, and the element was electrically hot, the tube would be too.

In fact , I can make an argument that they SHOULD be touching to ensure the tube is grounded.

By all means argue that point. It makes sense that had water heater elements been electrified in our water heaters we'd all be dead. Just had a hard time finding info on the issues with the element touching other metal. Thanks for clarifying for anyone else searching for answers!

Back