Heating element in mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianj84

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I just installed a heating element in my HLT and now I want to put one in my mash tun. I want to put it above my false bottom but I hear the element may scorch the grain. Will that happen even if I stir the mash around while I switch the heating element on? I'll only be switching it on for like 3 mins to bring the mash up a degree or two.

Cheers in advanced.

It will scorch. Do a rims or a hex. If you put it under the false bottom you will loose a ton of space and circulation may not be very good.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

I it possible to have a current controller to the element so I can make the element warm instead of scorching hot?

Would that be a solution? I've bought the element already so I kinda want to use it.

It'll still scorch as the grain will be in contact with the element, and it's just not possible to leep the grain stirred enough to prevent the contact. This is why you will want to do the RIMS or use a pump and HX to transfer the wort to another kettle or vessel which would only come in contact with the wort, and only for a short time.

You will want to use a temperature controller to control the element for the mash tun to keep the temperature constant. Reference the electric brewing forum for some better descriptions and pictures https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/

Back